Isle Of Man Newspapers

Dave Hedgehog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true that there are no unions in IOM Newspapers and that some staff who collate the papers are employed on a 'come in when we need you ' basis as some shops tried to do in UK?

There's no collective bargaining agreement, ie no union recognition, and although some staff only work when needed that's not an unusual practice in the industry - some print runs need more people than others.

I think it's very simple. If you don't like the fact they are moving printing off island then don't buy the papers. I haven't bought one for years anyway.

I do think the government should move away from the public notices they print to a cheaper way (online). I realise they may be a legal requirement but our ability to ammend legislation quickly is supposed to be one of our strengths isn't it?

which building is that in Parliament Street, is it where Pickwicks is?

Yes

I was in Ramsey today and they appear to be emptying Pickwicks. Has it shut for good or just for a refurb? I remember J.J.Christian MHK,lawyer,owner of the Beach Hotel,and the last owner of the Ramsey Courier and Green Final titles printed in these premises.

I was in Ramsey today and they appear to be emptying Pickwicks. Has it shut for good or just for a refurb? I remember J.J.Christian MHK,lawyer,owner of the Beach Hotel,and the last owner of the Ramsey Courier and Green Final titles printed in these premises.

Closed for good I think.

post-4192-0-62716000-1322038775_thumb.jpg

Fantastic. There are a couple of issues I've seen, one memorable excerpt appealing for sheets of orange cardboard to help finish one of the then recent developments (something to do with Anagh Coar, if I remember correctly), and a sustained piece of invective branding the keys a bunch of traitors.

Closed for good I think.

Sign on the door says refurb.

I do think the government should move away from the public notices they print to a cheaper way (online).

Though you have to remember that around 40% of people are still not online. The Examiner etc., to some old people especially, is the equivalent of the web to a young person. And notices can't easily be read out Manx Radio either.

Aye, digital inclusion isn't perhaps as inclusive as many of us would believe.

They could certainly cut them down considerably though. The various adverts for 'Tenders' or 'Expressions of Interest' could be routed via the Govt website as most commercial businesses would be able to access them and if they can't, well they need to revisit their business model. That alone would save a tidy sum.

The listings from the Companies Registry, again, is that really of value to the general populus? Could it be put on-line, shrunk in volume, or just done in one publication?

Richard Butt has posted a very long response to the criticism on the iomtoday website - makes a couple of interesting points, but also claims news doesn't happen at night.

Excellent news! All the police officers (other than the traffic cops) can pack up and go home at 5pm every night!

Archived