Chopper Crash

Pierrot Lunaire

Our reaction to unfortunate events with laughter is actually a really interesting pyscological mystery.

I admit I'm not cracking up watching PL's example, but I have obsessively rewatched it to try to understand what goes wrong - the bbc has it in slow mo!

But why do the observers filming this, and most people watching it, break out into a giggle when they see

:

Our reaction to unfortunate events with laughter is actually a really interesting pyscological mystery.

Is it really any more mysterious than why we react to intentionally funny events with laughter? You know, jokes for example? I suspect they are different levels of laughter. Perhaps one more reactionary than the other.

Is it really any more mysterious than why we react to intentionally funny events with laughter? You know, jokes for example? I suspect they are different levels of laughter. Perhaps one more reactionary than the other.

So you'll understand and won't mind some of us laughing when you have a car crash somewhere on the TT course on the way to your work? Cos it was so kind of ironically funny after all your nasty posts on the same topic?

So you'll understand and won't mind some of us laughing when you have a car crash somewhere on the TT course on the way to your work? Cos it was so kind of ironically funny after all your nasty posts on the same topic?

I never make intentionally nasty posts on any topics. Could you link to an example of one?

I never make intentionally nasty posts on any topics. Could you link to an example of one?

LOL

Chinahand - I think it's because it's someone about to 'show off', followed by an embarrassing slapstick moment and no real injury. Breaking a helicopter (even if sans injury) isn't really funny.

Stu - there's more to it than that - a proportion of the people involved in the Milgram Electrocution Experiments exhibited, admittedly nervous, laughter as they undertook what they thought was the Electrocution of a fellow test subject.

I think PL has a certain point - quite alot of You've Been Framed is us laughing at people hurting themselves - yep there is slapstick in that, but something else as well.

I agree I didn't laugh at the helicopter crash, so think PL's point was misdirected, but laughter is a very complex thing.

Your "intent" you may consider debatable. Perhaps before you post in relation to motorcycle and other fatalities you may like to consider how a relative or friend of the deceased may feel when reading them . I wish you no harm but wish you had a little more compassion and integrity.

The helicopter crash is disturbing, because of the violence and the obvious lethal jeopardy to the pilot and bystanders. I didn't find it funny for that reason, the only positive to it is realising at the end that the pilot had escaped with his life. On the other hand, the BMX rider clip is classic comedy, lots of build up, then right at the end bam! Had to laugh, as well as utter an 'ouch - bet that hurt'!

....but I have obsessively rewatched it to try to understand what goes wrong.....

Apparently, they were using the 'copter to help put up Xmas decorations. Looks lik they were using it to raise cables / lines for lights and one has got fouled up in the rotors.

Pretty fucking dumb really, if that is the case.

Archived