Patient Confidentiality - Nhs Shares Records With Private Firms?

manxy

I'm a little concerned with the headline Patients' NHS records could be shared with private firms and realise that this appertains to the UK, but giving opportunist firms access to records however anonymised, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Roger Goss, from Patient Concern, told the BBC: "This is the death of patient confidentiality.

"There is no guarantee that information will be anonymised, in any case anonymised data can just as easily be re-identified.

Is anonymity to be guaranteed then? I wouldn't trust this to be the case for one minute. Lots of 'accidental' releases of data seem to have been reported over the years.

What happens if you are the only person on the island with the somethingverynasty virus for example? It wouldn't take a genius to work that one out, would it?

Is anonymity to be guaranteed then? I wouldn't trust this to be the case for one minute. Lots of 'accidental' releases of data seem to have been reported over the years.

Citation please for these lots of cases where someone has been identified.

What happens if you are the only person on the island with the somethingverynasty virus for example? It wouldn't take a genius to work that one out, would it?

Oh please ...

Citation please for these lots of cases where someone has been identified.

Oh please ...

Sure . . .

Personal injury worker prosecuted for illegally obtaining patients’ details

http://www.ico.gov.u...e_20110601.ashx

01 Jun 2011

A personal injury claims company employee has today pleaded guilty to offences of illegally obtaining NHS patients’ information over a four month period, the Information Commissioner’s Office said today.

Patient dismay as medical data shared with council

http://www.computerw...dical-data.html

After Elizabeth Dove saw her GP about suspected depression she was dismayed and angry to find that her sensitive NHS records were put on a database which was shared with staff at the local council.

But it was no mistake: Dove discovered that it is routine for the NHS to make medical information on some patients accessible to some employees of local councils.

Praxis Care and the Department of Social Care launch helpline following data loss

http://www.gov.im/li...scareandthe.xml

In August Praxis Care informed the Department that one of its staff was unable to find a memory stick used to transfer information from one computer to another. This information includes personal data relating to some individual service users as well as some staff from both Praxis Care and the Department.

Council loses personal details of children in care

http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/pressreleases/2010/stoke_on_trent_council_undertaking_press_release_22112010.ashx

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has undertaken to improve the security of personal data held on portable media devices following the loss of a USB memory stick containing sensitive personal information of 40 children in their care, the Information Commissioner’s Office said today.

Plenty more where that came from - but I haven't got time to post it all!

It isn't being proposed for the Island.

Anonymous data would have all personal identifiers removed, it is to be used for clinical research. If the data is stripped of identifiers and flushed to a separate database, devoid of any containers for personal data, there shouldn't be any problem.

The benefits seem obvious - so it's worth doing.

Why have a GP anyway, and give them the opportunity? Take control of your own health, use A&E whenever there's an emergency and bob's your uncle. We've been conditioned to trot off to the docs at the slightest hint and guzzle whatever the pills of the month are on Pfizer's recent sales list. I haven't had a GP for years and it hasn't bothered me. Personal responsibility for health it seems has disappeared in favour of the sicknote culture and 'pop a pill' cure.

Why have a GP anyway, and give them the opportunity? Take control of your own health, use A&E whenever there's an emergency and bob's your uncle. We've been conditioned to trot off to the docs at the slightest hint and guzzle whatever the pills of the month are on Pfizer's recent sales list. I haven't had a GP for years and it hasn't bothered me. Personal responsibility for health it seems has disappeared in favour of the sicknote culture and 'pop a pill' cure.

I guess you might have a point,but surely there is something to say for early identification of life threatening conditions that would need a trained hand to spot.You say you haven`t had a GP for years,all well and good,but it depends how old you are and how lucky you`ve been so far.Other people might not be so fortunate.

What's the problem so long as it's anonymous? Valuable research data, I would have thought, and research into new drugs and treatments is a good thing.

If it is so beneficial, then I'm sure the patients won't mind - as long as they're asked to sign a release form first so that their records can be made available.

What's the problem so long as it's anonymous? Valuable research data, I would have thought, and research into new drugs and treatments is a good thing.

If it is so beneficial, then I'm sure the patients won't mind - as long as they're asked to sign a release form first so that their records can be made available.

Many moons ago I was asked to release my medical records to a research project. I said no - and that was the end of that.

There was no suggestion that my medical records might have been used without my consent. The idea that Government can just hoover up all our most personal details without getting our written consent first is just appalling. It needs to be strongly resisted.

It isn't being proposed for the Island.

Anonymous data would have all personal identifiers removed, it is to be used for clinical research. If the data is stripped of identifiers and flushed to a separate database, devoid of any containers for personal data, there shouldn't be any problem.

The benefits seem obvious - so it's worth doing.

Yep, I'd trust my government to be discreet, sure, why not. If you really think that the government would take some personal data from you and either not use it to further their big brother agenda, or sell it to the corrupt pharmaceutical industry (who by the way are one of the largest tax paying industries to governments, so it's a cosy mutually beneficial club) so they can tailor their offering to each and every walking cash cow via their reps i.e. doctors, then you're either naive or stupid, one or the other.

...and before anyone asks I have first hand knowledge of how 'big pharma' work and their relationahip with governments, and anyone who thinks they both have your best interests at heart in their partnership are very much mistaken.

Archived