Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

Listening to the 5pm news on the radio, Ramsey Bakery announced that they will cease production if the next 4 sailings are cancelled (so thats 2 down), plenty of flour around but they are about to run out of yeast! I would have thought that this could be flown in? rather than close down the bakery?

Listening to the 5pm news on the radio, Ramsey Bakery announced that they will cease production if the next 4 sailings are cancelled (so thats 2 down), plenty of flour around but they are about to run out of yeast! I would have thought that this could be flown in? rather than close down the bakery?

Jim Duncan is just scare mongering, there is no reason why he can't fly the fresh yeast in.

This balderdash spouted by Jimmy Duncan would be laughable if he expects us to believe a man of his business acumen can not see any other way of transporting some yeast to the island or that he lacked the foresight to plan for such a hiccup to the sailings through the recent and on going bad weather. The crux of the matter is Mr.Duncan wants Tynwald to give him a monopoly of bread supply on the island and is scaremongering to help his case to government.Rumour has been on going for years the bakery has been on the market and what with the age of the bakery and the importation of bread products in its widest sense,the in house bakeries in lots of supermarkets and the cost of his products his asset will be depreciating as every year goes on. Just imagine what a premium he could get if he had a monopoly. Jimmy you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not fool all of the people all the time.

And this is bad news how? Worst "bread" I've ever tasted...

Plus one, I don't know if they do a similar bread product in Germany Amadeus but when I stay in Austria the breakfast rolls (like a crusty cob on the IOM) are one of my highlights of the holiday, mmmmmmmmmmm so fresh, so crusty and light and they just melt in the mouth when spread with Philadelphia and/or jams.

They have a pattern on the crust, do you know what I am talking about? They appear mass produced but no worse tasting for that and a lesson to Ramsey Bakery. What are they called, if you know?

their bread is vile.
Worst "bread" I've ever tasted...

Come off it - it isn't that bad. I quite like it.

Nope, it really is vile, I can't think of any redeeming features of their bread.

I make my own bread (hence previous where can I buy yeast threads) and have never looked back since I started doing it.

Amadeus - I wish we had a German bakery over here, I love sourdoughs, pretzels and Laugenbrötchen.

Edited by mojomonkey

Jim Duncan is just scare mongering, there is no reason why he can't fly the fresh yeast in.

There is. If it costs him a penny more to do it he won't.

And this is bad news how? Worst "bread" I've ever tasted...

I personally would call it bad news to see the islands main bakery fall, as apart from the loss of jobs, we're even more dependant on our neighbours across and we may as well call it the mainland as they'd be supplying nearly everything to us.

I never realised that the plant doesn't make their own yeast though and I'd presume that they've looked at this already with the likely reason it wasn't cost effective. I would like to know though and if nothings forthcoming, can some MHK ask the question in the appropriate department please?

As said before, if the boat doesn't come in, how long would it take for people to say that we should have our own bakery?