Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

3 hours ago, WTF said:

no boats in the winter ??  time to buy a chest freezer for bread ( if you can afford to run one with the price of electric ?? )

I've got two freezers running off a couple of solar panels and half a dozen old car batteries. Works a treat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I've got two freezers running off a couple of solar panels and half a dozen old car batteries. Works a treat.

Do you live down the lane by archallagan?! Lots of old freezers and dumped cars on the side of the road

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Pretty sure my missus would have something to say if I parked a load of old batteries around the place... 🙄

I am struggling to believe he is being truthful

It just doesn't make economic sense. You could do it for fun/challenge or if you were off grid, but if you have mains electricity why would you do this?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It just doesn't make economic sense. You could do it for fun/challenge or if you were off grid, but if you have mains electricity why would you do this?

Probably down an old shed with no leccy.

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Pretty sure my missus would have something to say if I parked a load of old batteries around the place... 🙄

Hah! She's less help to you than the Government!!!

Pretty sure Doc Fixit is 'mechanically minded', he has probably cobbled this together his self and should be applauded for his handy work and energy saving? Maybe it's in his garage rather than the kitchen!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

All the electrics/batteries are fitted neatly in the shed and the panels are on the shed roof at an angle of about 30degrees. All very tickety boo. 😎😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Never had a power cut then? You must be posh.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Hah! She's less help to you than the Government!!!

Pretty sure Doc Fixit is 'mechanically minded', he has probably cobbled this together his self and should be applauded for his handy work and energy saving? Maybe it's in his garage rather than the kitchen!

as per the of/off topic - the word is himself not his self... :thumbsup:

Is there no opinion but yours? I report accurately that MY system works a treat for what I want it to do thankyou.

Off course if you are trying to power a whole household just from solar and storage then it is a different matter all together both because of power losses from either a large inverter or a group of demand inverters and the difficulty of housing, maintaining and purchasing a storage system. Maybe a very complex and costly Tesla system if you have the cash.

My system was about £200 for the two 100w panels and a similar amount for 8 good but second hand vehicle batteries, (£30 each). It also works everything in my workshop with the exception of the MIG welder. The 2000w inverter was costly but I can't be arsed to check

I enjoyed building it and  after a bit of experimenting, (mainly with dud batteries), the system works a treat for what its supposed to do.

I sorry if I sound aggressive but I always feel that you are critical of so many things, maybe you aren't but there we are.  😎

• Like 5