Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

PL You must be on a wind up! Ramsey Bakery bread is a disgusting concoction that should not be allowed to be called bread. It stays fresh for about 30 minutes after it's baked and then it goes downhill. I gave up buying it long ago as it was for ever going mouldy before it even has chance to go stale. Give me Hovis anytime

I suspect that might say more about your manky spore infested pantry than Ramsey Bakery bread. Which isn't that bad. Maybe you're exaggerating for effect. Although exactly what effect I'm not sure.

He who is the font of all knowledge here, or at least thinks he is, has just told me Foxdale had a bakery "Winkles" not sure if he is kidding me there, and also said Warburtons in Douglas, Caley in Onchan.

None of which I had heard of

Mr Winkle is still with us I think and was in great demand to judge at the local produce shows. I was at school with his son who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident at the Spring valley area of Douglas in the late 60's early 70's.

I have a great knead for Ramsey Bakery bread, i really much prefer it to any of the sweetened preservative ridden bread that gets flown in. Personal choice. Anyway, he should use his loaf and fly the yeast in.

He who is the font of all knowledge here, or at least thinks he is, has just told me Foxdale had a bakery "Winkles" not sure if he is kidding me there, and also said Warburtons in Douglas, Caley in Onchan.

Mr Winkle is still with us I think and was in great demand to judge at the local produce shows. I was at school with his son who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident at the Spring valley area of Douglas in the late 60's early 70's.

It was early 70s near entrance to Anagh Coar - motorcycle and two pedestrians.

Not just those, there was Quirks bakers - Craines bakers, Elders in Strand street all baking better produce than RB can produce

What was the name of the last bakers in Ramsey that closed about 5 years ago - they made very tasty baps and I wish I could have got hold of their recipe before they shut. Ramsey bakery bread is so awful I only buy it (the brown loaves) to feed the birds. Try rolling one of RB's loaves in your hands - it just ends up as a soggy lump of dough.

What was the name of the last bakers in Ramsey that closed about 5 years ago - they made very tasty baps and I wish I could have got hold of their recipe before they shut. Ramsey bakery bread is so awful I only buy it (the brown loaves) to feed the birds. Try rolling one of RB's loaves in your hands - it just ends up as a soggy lump of dough.

Are you thinking of Wadmans

I saw this comment when I wanted to know - How many types of bread are there and the answers are below. Continuing that thread, there's lots of info which I found interesting and only wish that I could taste them all to see what I liked best. Yummy :)

White

Wheat

Rye

Marble Rye

Pumpernickel

Tortilla

Pita

Matza

Mantou

Cornbread

Sourdough

Hardtack

Strucla

Naan

Baguette

Pain de Mie

Pan Dulce

Roti

Chapati

Puri

Paratha

Challah (my favorite bread ;p)

Rghifa

Plain Bread

Focaccia

Stottie Cake

Brioche

Lavash

Biscuit

Pretzel

Bagel

Papadum

Pain aux Noix

Tin Vienna

Dinkelbrot

Barley

Appam

Ciabatta

Damper

Phulka

Puran Poli

Boule

Chocolate Babka

Cinnamon Babka

Panettone

Onchan had three outlets, as above and Kermodes? own bakery, betweeen the two Banks. JJ Crellins started the rot of bakery losses with clever marketing and getting their bread into other outlets, much as Ramsey Bakery did to them later.

Crellins were in Kensington Grove?, which I think they took over from Elders? Then, Victoria Rd where Lumineres are now.

Far from going off in 30 mins, as suggested above, Ram Bak bread stays 'fresh' for days if rewrapped and it is possibly this softness that is most wrong with it.

Some breads, you have a sandwich and immediately feel that you need another one! Must be those adictive enzymes? Actually this is correct, there is something in some breads that make you feel hungry.

Peel Bakery... v good

Duke St bakers v good

Coop in house... good, best alternative.

Shoprite in house, soft OK

Tesco, multi grain in house, crusty OK.

All wholemeal versions.

You can't get thin sliced anymore, nor often medium sliced. We eat thick sliced, mugs of coffee and wonder why we are aNationof fatties!

Quirks in Onchan, if they burnt the bread used to say ''it's high bake''! As if they intended it.