Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

£1.50 is about the price for a decent loaf in the UK also. It is only distorted by the heavy discounting of the multiples who use it as a loss leader so they can get you in the store to screw you over on other stuff. Anyone see Panorama about all their wonderful discounts the other night?

There were quite a few bakeries in Douglas,and everyone of them did good business,with a population of around 44,000 on the Island it was amazing really how many there were.

Manx Co-op West View,Quirks back Strand Street,Cowins Hill Street Lane,Elders Kensington Avenue,Crossleys Prospect Hill,Cannells Duke Street,Oates and Quayles Harwarden Avenue,Caleys shop Barrack Street,In Strand Street there were two Pork Butchers who made wonderful pies,Porky Gray was one,all of them the products were always fresh and no E factors ETC,sadly now all gone.

What was the one on Broadway? Used to love their pies.

I think that was Cannells shop which had the bakery in Duke Street,the best pies I can remember were Porky Grays in Strand Street,I remember delivering to them when I worked on the Steam Packet lorries in the 50s,it was wonderful to get a few with the fresh hot jelly poured in them,trouble is as soon as you bit into them all the juice ran over your face,happy days.

There were quite a few bakeries in Douglas,and everyone of them did good business,with a population of around 44,000 on the Island it was amazing really how many there were.

Manx Co-op West View,Quirks back Strand Street,Cowins Hill Street Lane,Elders Kensington Avenue,Crossleys Prospect Hill,Cannells Duke Street,Oates and Quayles Harwarden Avenue,Caleys shop Barrack Street,In Strand Street there were two Pork Butchers who made wonderful pies,Porky Gray was one,all of them the products were always fresh and no E factors ETC,sadly now all gone.

Quirks, back Strand Street.

When I was a nipper I used to be taken there to see how they made bread, this was late at night. In the early 80s they branched out making continental stuff such as French bread, croissants etc. I think they needed more lessons, it was blooming awful devil.gif

I heard stories recently about Ramsey Bakery freezing bread ? apparently they are not allowed to do this and have been told off in the past for it but they continue to do so ?

They certainly used to. In my days between proper jobs I did a few stints working at a supermarket. On more than one occasion I've sent back vanloads of bread that arrived still frozen solid.

Quirks shop was on Strand st with the bake house to the rear. The bakery on Broadway was Cains who also had a shop further up Ballaquayle road at the bottom of Dukes road. I think it became Cannells before it eventually closed down. JJ Crellins were up Victoria road in James place and moved to Elders bakery in Grovenor road when Elders closed.Elders made the most wonderful scotch pies.

Just occurred to me, if we ran out of yeast how would we brew beer? A much greater part of the Island's staple diet!

Bushy's are well ahead. They plan for things like this and have plenty of yeast.

As Okell's is brewed with sweaty socks, there is no shortage of them on island.

• Like 1

Quirks, back Strand Street.

Back strand street? It was on Strand Street, where Smiths is. There was also a Quirks on Prospect Terrace.

The actual bakery was on Back Strand Street, with a trophy/engraving shop next to the bakery. It all got knocked down and became part of the Strand shopping mall.

I make my own bread (hence previous where can I buy yeast threads) and have never looked back since I started doing it.

Absolutely. Everyone I know who makes their own bread would NEVER purchase mass-produced flavour-free e-numbers ever again.

There's the cost as well. 1500 gms of brown flour, enough for 3 loaves, is about £1.30. White flour is 70p per 1500 gms which surprises me as white flour needs more refining than brown. Sachet of yeast - 10p. Add a few spoons of salt, sugar and oil plus water and you have a loaf far superior to anything you can buy for about a third of the cost.

We use a breadmaker and like to set it all up so the loaf is baking early morning - and you can't beat that lovely bread baking smell when you get out of bed!

• Like 1