Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

I heard stories recently about Ramsey Bakery freezing bread ? apparently they are not allowed to do this and have been told off in the past for it but they continue to do so ?

They certainly used to. In my days between proper jobs I did a few stints working at a supermarket. On more than one occasion I've sent back vanloads of bread that arrived still frozen solid.

That might explain the bread in Shoprite in Ramsey, it is always past its best. Just take baps for example, when bought from the Total Garage in Ramsey they are really nice, light and fresh, that good just a small amount of butter spread on them makes a tasty snack.

Now then compare them to the baps for sale in Shoprite, same product but they feel and taste days old which I imagine is not true but you know what I mean and the freezing explains that, if it happens.

I asked the manager in Total how come their baps! were so nice and the answer was that they only order a small quantity and they are either all sold the day of arrival or binned, hence the freshness. I can only assume that either RB are freezing baps destined for Shoprite or Shoprite are ordering far too many and putting out on the shelves, baps that are a couple of days old?

Same story at Ballaugh One Stop Shop, very nice fresh RB bread. The thing that gets me though is that Shoprite Ramsey is about 100 yards away from the bakery, how can the bread "age" that much on that short journey unless it is one of the above reasons.

The actual bakery was on Back Strand Street, with a trophy/engraving shop next to the bakery. It all got knocked down and became part of the Strand shopping mall.

Na, the strand street shop had a bakery behind the shop, where smiths book section is now pretty much. The rest of the baking was done on peel road.

Just out of interest exactly how many bakeries are left on the Island.

For that matter how many did there used to be and why have so many disappeared given the population increase?

There were plenty of small bakeries on the island, but most were unable to compete with a particular large bakery and went out of business...

Ramsey Bakery bought out the competition

Crellins & Rathbones

We use a breadmaker and like to set it all up so the loaf is baking early morning - and you can't beat that lovely bread baking smell when you get out of bed!

I know some people who use a breadmaker to mix the dough and raise it, but don't like the finished product cooked in a breadmaker. So once it is ready to bake, they remove the dough, put it in bread tins, and bake it normally in the oven. They say that the resulting loaves are considerably better.

My grandmother used to put bacon grease on top of the loaves of bread before baking. That would be difficult to do with a breadmaker but easy to do if you just use the breadmaker to mix and raise the dough.

And this is bad news how? Worst "bread" I've ever tasted...

Im not allowed ordinary bread at the moment (doctors orders) and have to use gluten free.

A butty made with Ramsey bread would be like heaven to me right now smile.png

Edited by Freya Q

Im not allowed ordinary bread at the moment (doctors orders) and have to use gluten free.

My apologies for winding you up in the past. If you have to eat gluten free little wonder you are so cranky. All that I have tried are dreadfull!

Some people get it on perscription but don't use, seems a waste of NHS money?

I believe that Buchwheat flour is gluten free, you could try making a chapati type bread with that, may be better.

The Creperie on N Quay use it for their pancakes and they are really good.

Most people I have spoken to say to but RB bread from the garage or small shop because it's far fresher. No idea why but I have tried it and it's true. Who's responsible I have no idea but tried the bread in Shopright yesterday and the local garage. The garage was by far the freshest.