Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

when I worked on the Steam Packet lorries in the 50s

Wow! Are you like, a million or something? Can you maybe describe what a tourist looked like for us?

Yes I can describe what thousands of tourists look like,with 9 ships,and 4 airlines bringing them in every summer,and no I'm not quite reached a millon yet,but I was a teenager then,and every delivery to bakehouses was a bonus,the lovely bread and sticky buns,pies,and cream cakes,all tips.

that would be the little blue Scammel artics which used to do the parcels/freight deliveries ?

when there was an air terminal across the road with Hammil's (sp?) coaches doing airport runs for Silver City, Dan Air, Scottish Avaition, and the road services for BEA !

No before the Scammel's,they had Bedford flat trucks,[Just like Greengrass in Heartbeat],also there was an old Vulcan van,yes that's right a Vulcan before Startrek,Archie Curran drove it,the foreman Ike, had Black Diamond a great big horse pulling a cart,the horse could take the cart back at Christmas if the tips got a bit much,he also liked a pint outside of the Dogs Home.

Edited by EORH

Bought the Panasonic SD-2501WXC from amazon a few months ago.It was only £103 a few days ago but its now £ 144 so wait for amazon to bring more stock in. .Brilliant breadmaker. I set it up at night and fresh bread when I wake up in the morning ( 2-3 times a week). Excellent bread and will never buy any shop bread again. PS:I calculated the leccy usage at around 25-30P. That means that a large loaf costs me around 60p max. I have'nt included the price of the breadmaker in this calculation. Even if it lasts for only 2 years I' a happy bunny.

are you me?? ohmy.png

Bought the Panasonic SD-2501WXC from amazon a few months ago.It was only £103 a few days ago but its now £ 144 so wait for amazon to bring more stock in. .Brilliant breadmaker. I set it up at night and fresh bread when I wake up in the morning ( 2-3 times a week). Excellent bread and will never buy any shop bread again. PS:I calculated the leccy usage at around 25-30P. That means that a large loaf costs me around 60p max. I have'nt included the price of the breadmaker in this calculation. Even if it lasts for only 2 years I' a happy bunny.

are you me?? ohmy.png

Quick question, what shape are the loaves? My current machine makes cubes which are great for slicing into sandwiches. I am looking for a new machine but most I see make small, oblong loaves which (when sliced) would be too small for butties really.

It is a great shame. My current machine is about 15 years old and needs a new pan, which is no longer available.

To anyone thinking of getting a breadmaker on the back of these enthusiasts comments. A word of advice, make sure it is not too tall ...

.............. to fit in the cupboard under the sink , along with the Geo Foreman grill, the toasty maker, the expresso coffee machine, the filtre coffee machine, the four slice toaster with bagel setting, the kenwoood mixer, the juice extractor. the steaming pans, the electric steamer, the £200 set of pans that everything sticks to, the cups and saucers you thought would get you away from mugs, ....

Enough sarcasm? Or shall I carry on?

• Like 1

To anyone thinking of getting a breadmaker on the back of these enthusiasts comments. A word of advice, make sure it is not too tall ...

.............. to fit in the cupboard under the sink , along with the Geo Foreman grill, the toasty maker, the expresso coffee machine, the filtre coffee machine, the four slice toaster with bagel setting, the kenwoood mixer, the juice extractor. the steaming pans, the electric steamer, the £200 set of pans that everything sticks to, the cups and saucers you thought would get you away from mugs, ....

You forgot the Wok and the slow cooker.

No, no, keep going. Some people might not understand your thinking on these faddish gadgets. And if anything, it is one of those faddish gadgets that lost it's 'wow' factor many years ago. They are one of the odder attempts that people choose to climb up the "Make-Believe Bourgeois Ladder of 'How Successful/Cool/Stylish/Modern Am I?"'. Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

No, no, keep going. Some people might not understand your thinking on these faddish gadgets. And if anything, it is one of those faddish gadgets that lost it's 'wow' factor many years ago. They are one of the odder attempts that people choose to climb up the "Make-Believe Bourgeois Ladder of 'How Successful/Cool/Stylish/Modern Am I?"'.

I disagree. First off how many faddish gadgets save you cash? Usually you have faddish gadgets that prove the running costs are not an issue to you. Secondly we purchased our first breadmaker as the missus seemed to develop an intolerance to mass-produced bread. She then made all sorts of awful looking lumps of mush that were pretty much inedible. Only to discover our home-made bread didn't effect her at all. We've never looked back.

Mind you, we have a fondu set in the back of the cupboard!

Only one pack of bog roll allowed per customer in Shopshite yesterday. Lots of people holding the rear of their pants at the checkout.

Probably all the Tesco refugees coming up to get all the stuff unavailable at their wonderful Tescos

No, no, keep going. Some people might not understand your thinking on these faddish gadgets. And if anything, it is one of those faddish gadgets that lost it's 'wow' factor many years ago. They are one of the odder attempts that people choose to climb up the "Make-Believe Bourgeois Ladder of 'How Successful/Cool/Stylish/Modern Am I?"'.

Yeah, your right, and the washing machine, cooker, microwave, blender, hot water boiler, hell lets dump the tap and the flushing toilet and all go back to using public water and buckets. Down with faddy gadgets! (idiot)

And you think those machines are equivalent to the breadmaker? Those machines either greatly improved living standards by decreasing time and labour spent undertaking regular tasks , such as the water boiler by providing heat and hot water where water would have to be heated under an open fire or stove before. The same with the washing machine and microwave.

The bread machine? Well, if you want bread, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to grab a loaf from the shops...when you buy all your other foodstuffs. It is often hard to glimpse the possible future, but I hazard to guess that the bread machine will not become a norm in most people's homes. However, I think a bread bin that opens upon command just might.

Unless, as PK mentions, a person has some intolerance to bread bought in a shop as opposed to that made in the machine. I'd imagine this is highly uncommon though,