Bread (Ramsey Bakery)

Flossie

Yeah, your right, and the washing machine, cooker, microwave, blender, hot water boiler, hell lets dump the tap and the flushing toilet and all go back to using public water and buckets. Down with faddy gadgets! (idiot)

....but once you have got all of those essentials, what then is The Man gonig to sell to you? All of the above and a new kitchen every five years, ''Oh blue is so last year, lets go for green this time!''

Matching his and hers bikes and for the kids, ''we'll all be so healthy'', now they languish some where in the garage with white mould growing on the tyres.

A desktop, a laptop, why hell, a Vaio for him, just a 600 one for 'the wife' and a couple for the kids, you can sit in front of the TV, laptop on one knee, dinner , convenience of course, no time to cook, on the other and the smart phone blinking away on the arm of the sofa, oh no, smart phone has a green screen, so outré, better go in tomorrow and get a blue screen, trendy! Then of course, the netbook, the Ipad and whatever else they can come up with and gently persuade you to buy, ''Hey stupid, buy this.....

50 cookery books on the cupboard top, unread, no time to cook, no time to read, got to get to the TV and laptop.

Just imagine, your nose, Mr Big Business' finger hooked into it, leading you towards his store. You have to follow of course. What else could you do?

Edited by Kopek

A desktop, a laptop, why hell, a Vaio for him, just a 600 one for 'the wife' and a couple for the kids, you can sit in front of the TV, laptop on one knee, dinner , convenience of course, no time to cook, on the other and the smart phone blinking away on the arm of the sofa, oh no, smart phone has a green screen, so outré, better go in tomorrow and get a blue screen, trendy!
You mean the iPhone, of course. The street cred that they offer cannot be sniffed at.

The bread machine? Well, if you want bread, the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to grab a loaf from the shops...when you buy all your other foodstuffs. It is often hard to glimpse the possible future, but I hazard to guess that the bread machine will not become a norm in most people's homes. However, I think a bread bin that opens upon command just might.

Bread from a machine is cheaper, as pointed out above. If you want a meal, the easiest thing to do is to go to the shop and buy a ready meal. I don't do that either.

....but once you have got all of those essentials, what then is The Man gonig to sell to you? All of the above and a new kitchen every five years, ''Oh blue is so last year, lets go for green this time!''

I'm not into consumerist culture, I don't buy kitchen gadgets for the sake of it, though I have got a few useless items around like a juicer that never get used. The things that endure are the ones that are genuinely useful and that I'd struggle to live without; an expresso machine, a breadmaker and a kitchenaid mixer. A bread machine is superb if you like your own fresh bread, it's efficient, easy, and the results are consistently good and it saves a lot of effort vs mixing, kneading, rising and baking. I understand the point your making, I wouldn't buy a doughnut maker for the reasons you list, but breadmakers don't fit the type of gadget you're criticising, in my opinion.

It seems odd to criticise consumerist culture and also criticise people for making their own bread rather than buying from a shop...

Yeah, your right, and the washing machine, cooker, microwave, blender, hot water boiler, hell lets dump the tap and the flushing toilet and all go back to using public water and buckets. Down with faddy gadgets! (idiot)

Matching his and hers bikes and for the kids, ''we'll all be so healthy'', now they languish some where in the garage with white mould growing on the tyres.

A desktop, a laptop, why hell, a Vaio for him, just a 600 one for 'the wife' and a couple for the kids, you can sit in front of the TV, laptop on one knee, dinner , convenience of course, no time to cook, on the other and the smart phone blinking away on the arm of the sofa, oh no, smart phone has a green screen, so outré, better go in tomorrow and get a blue screen, trendy! Then of course, the netbook, the Ipad and whatever else they can come up with and gently persuade you to buy, ''Hey stupid, buy this.....

50 cookery books on the cupboard top, unread, no time to cook, no time to read, got to get to the TV and laptop.

Just imagine, your nose, Mr Big Business' finger hooked into it, leading you towards his store. You have to follow of course. What else could you do?

I take it your posting from your old faithful ZX-Spectrum? Don't want to be buying into the consurmer "mindset" and getting one of those faddy PC-thingys now do you....

Bread from a machine is cheaper, as pointed out above. If you want a meal, the easiest thing to do is to go to the shop and buy a ready meal. I don't do that either.

How much flour are you using per loaf?

Yes, by far the easiest thing to fill your stomach would be to buy a ready meal. But I think you understand the point I am making that when you can buy all your groceries in one go, why not just buy one of the many varieties of (surely) still fresh bread? I find it hard to believe that price, which could only be a small difference and taste (unless there is a limited range on the Island) are the clinching factors that make bread machines desirable. I see it either as a method to proclaim 'Hey, I make my own bread' or just to make use of a gift.

It seems odd to criticise consumerist culture and also criticise people for making their own bread rather than buying from a shop...

But buying bread from a shop (as with a bakers) is not in any way linked with the modern consumerism that is being criticised today.

To anyone thinking of getting a breadmaker on the back of these enthusiasts comments. A word of advice, make sure it is not too tall ...

.............. to fit in the cupboard under the sink , along with the Geo Foreman grill, the toasty maker, the expresso coffee machine, the filtre coffee machine, the four slice toaster with bagel setting, the kenwoood mixer, the juice extractor. the steaming pans, the electric steamer, the £200 set of pans that everything sticks to, the cups and saucers you thought would get you away from mugs, ....

Enough sarcasm? Or shall I carry on?

You forgot the Wok and the slow cooker.

I'd be interested in the espresso maker and the george foreman grill.

How much you want for them?

when you can buy all your groceries in one go, why not just buy one of the many varieties of (surely) still fresh bread?

On that same basis you might as well buy pre-prepared meals instead of bothering to buy ingredients.

And yet, when you have friends or relations to dinner I doubt that you would serve them a ready meal. You'd cook something fresh from scratch right ? Equally I doubt you would want to serve factory bread.

But ready meals do in the main taste awful, are more expensive to buy, and are usually full of additives. I don't really rate bread as important enough to put down at the dinner table with friends. Unless I was dishing out soup. But I wouldn't mind factory bread if it is like some thick and crusty round loaf, like baguette type stuff.

How much flour are you using per loaf?

What on earth are you on about?

Yes, by far the easiest thing to fill your stomach would be to buy a ready meal. But I think you understand the point I am making that when you can buy all your groceries in one go, why not just buy one of the many varieties of (surely) still fresh bread? I find it hard to believe that price, which could only be a small difference and taste (unless there is a limited range on the Island) are the clinching factors that make bread machines desirable. I see it either as a method to proclaim 'Hey, I make my own bread' or just to make use of a gift.

Well, you're wrong. Sorry. I prefer home baked bread, it tastes nicer and most shop bought bread has too much salt, fat and sugar in it. I prefer to make my own, is that ok? Not a fad, but a very useful bit of kit.

My Spectrum melted a few years ago. Now I use an ex-office Compaq cobbled together from tip bits.

I wasn't particularly aiming at you Slim, you and five or six others seem to be MIY enthusiasts but rather at the fad consumerists who continually fall for the marketing hype for the latest 'must have'.

It was a word of warning in case your enthusiasm were to provoke yet another useless purchase for mindless Fadists who would use it twice.

Snowflake, you fool, you need electricity for the Geo Foreman Grill, you don't have that out in the sticks, do you?

The truth is that Marketing are very good at persuading us that we need their latest gadget, for which the only reason they have designed it, is because we all have their previous offering and they have had to come up with something else to sell to us. Foolishly, we concur.

But hey.

IT'S CHRISTMAS!

'TIS THE SEASON TO BE CYNICAL!

• Like 1

And this is bad news how? Worst "bread" I've ever tasted...

Plus one, I don't know if they do a similar bread product in Germany Amadeus but when I stay in Austria the breakfast rolls (like a crusty cob on the IOM) are one of my highlights of the holiday, mmmmmmmmmmm so fresh, so crusty and light and they just melt in the mouth when spread with Philadelphia and/or jams.

They have a pattern on the crust, do you know what I am talking about? They appear mass produced but no worse tasting for that and a lesson to Ramsey Bakery. What are they called, if you know?

Seiously? That's one of your highlights, what kind of holidays do you go on, trainspotting? drying paint watching???? biggrin.png