Brae-watch

loaf

Ahh, this takes me back to those famous day-glo posters the proprietor of the Erin Brae had made (whilst Millenium Court, I think, was being built) with the words "HERITAGE HOMES HAVE WRECKED MY PROPERTY AND RUINED MY BUSINESS" on them. I have also once seen a poster in their garage with "I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CAR FROM EUROCARS" written on it.. Now I notice today that there is another large poster on the front of his guesthouse but I couldn't make it out.. Another protest? Anyone care to let us know what is written on it?

It would appear, having read the notice hanging from his house, the owner of the Erin Brae is in the process of being prosecuted for replacing his sliding sash timber windows with uPVC casement windows to his second floor.

Its about time planning started to flex their muscles and get a grip, its always going to be hard for the ones they make an example off.

It would appear, having read the notice hanging from his house, the owner of the Erin Brae is in the process of being prosecuted for replacing his sliding sash timber windows with uPVC casement windows to his second floor.

Its about time planning started to flex their muscles and get a grip, its always going to be hard for the ones they make an example off.

They should of started with your mate Ned, but no it has to be the small man,

I live in a street where 60% of the windows are now PVC, originally they were sliding sash windows (central Douglas).

Now I know for sure that NONE of the properties here applied for planning permission for the replacement as we appeared to be the first to apply and we were refused!.

They said that PVC wsn't in-keeping with the character of the area and the original windows were part of the character of the building. Have they seen our windows? They are falling apart and we can't replace any broken pains of glass as the sliding frame is too weak to support modern glass (the original is 2mm thick!)

It's a xxxxxxx joke, Wooden replacements to the original style are totally out of our budget.

Surely if most of the houses have PVC windows then us getting them would be in keeping with the area, why has nobody else been visited about their windows being fitted without planning approval?

it is shocking double standards that large housing firms can destroy miles of land with shoddy out of place concrete monstrosities and yet average people can't get decent windows..... like all the keep energy bills down adverts demand you do?

Ahh, this takes me back to those famous day-glo posters the proprietor of the Erin Brae had made (whilst Millenium Court, I think, was being built) with the words "HERITAGE HOMES HAVE WRECKED MY PROPERTY AND RUINED MY BUSINESS" on them.

Yep, remember them signs outside when I lived down on the prom - somehow made me smile, as having a big building site next to your hotel can't be a pleasant thing and hardly attracts visitors (Hotel with Seaview and authentic building noise next door - experience true everyday manx life!..)

To be honest, nobody should require any kind of permission to replace the 100% crappy old windows used over here - christ, how many times have I looked at a building and thought "If a builder back home had done this, he would have been shot.." That might be typical German (yes, yes, the whole "precise, good, schnell schnell thing), but the building standards over here are absolutely appalling - seems they all need glasses, as not a single building is really straight.. Where do they get their training? If they get any at all...

I live in a street where 60% of the windows are now PVC, originally they were sliding sash windows (central Douglas).

Now I know for sure that NONE of the properties here applied for planning permission for the replacement as we appeared to be the first to apply and we were refused!.

They said that PVC wsn't in-keeping with the character of the area and the original windows were part of the character of the building. Have they seen our windows? They are falling apart and we can't replace any broken pains of glass as the sliding frame is too weak to support modern glass (the original is 2mm thick!)

It's a xxxxxxx joke, Wooden replacements to the original style are totally out of our budget.

Surely if most of the houses have PVC windows then us getting them would be in keeping with the area, why has nobody else been visited about their windows being fitted without planning approval?

I was in this position once, the solution was to get a good carpenter to make up the window frames (with the top half opening) from softwood and fit double glazed units, provided they are treated correctly and painted regularly they will last a long time and look just like the originals. Oh and it worked out very cheap too!

I don't think the guy at Erin Brae is telling the whole story, personally.

As there are many properties along the Seafront with PVC windows in, I don't think it's a case off fitting the PVC windows but more like the design the he's used.

There are many designs off PVC window which he could have used but it seems he's taken the cheapest option, good chance they were bought even cheaper from Liverpool.

As a Hotelier, he would have known the there are conditions which have to be follow as to which type but it looks like he chose to ignore them.

Sounds like sour grapes and trying to put the blame on someone else for his own arrogance, imo.

Archived