Christmas Shopping

vikingdoom

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My router died so went looking for a new one. There was one in a certain computer shop in Ramsey, however it was a bit of a silly price (£49.99) - The exact same model is less than half the price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Wireless-TD-W8901G-Detach-Antenna/dp/B003V4A5YI/ref=sr_1_25?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1324294129&sr=1-25

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered to share that story...

My router died so went looking for a new one. There was one in a certain computer shop in Ramsey, however it was a bit of a silly price (£49.99) - The exact same model is less than half the price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...4294129&sr=1-25

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered to share that story...

Its because you have found out the best way to shop,and exposed the high price society we have here,there are some things we have to buy here,but not everything.

The only thing is when will these local traders finally decide to drop their prices to compete,it's no use them saying they can't,because going through Strand Street yesterday,the sales signs are up already,when we see the £29.99 down to £9.99,we know how big the rip off was,this is a generalization not a specific priced item before somebody asks what,where.

Have done all shopping on line, including food. Go to M&S late Thursday evening and pick up pre order and Tesco are delivering 9pm on Friday

Have some Iceland stuff in freezer just in case

I am avoiding the melee in town because I find I have stared to suffer from trolley rage

Have done all shopping on line, including food. Go to M&S late Thursday evening and pick up pre order and Tesco are delivering 9pm on Friday

Have some Iceland stuff in freezer just in case

I am avoiding the melee in town because I find I have stared to suffer from trolley rage

I hear Tesco are having a push on legal services. What will be your view if they start to undercut you or maybe just make everyone believe that they are undercutting you whilst in fact charging more?

Personally I have no problem with competition in the legal services market. I have low overheads and I already undercut most of my contemporaries

I was responsible for opening up conveyancing and introducing discount schemes in 1996 and was castigated by the IOM Law society and some of its members

i campaigned and drew up rules to allow Advocates to form both multi national and multi disciplinary practices, ie partnerships with lawyers qualified in other jursidictions and non lawyers, but the law society membership thought it was a step too far and rejected them

The tax on the wages paid to IOM Tesco workers and the NI go into the Manx Teasury and under the revenue sharing agreement so does the VAT and a share of the duty on booze etc.

I would rather buy here than in UK or over internet, either for goods, food or services

Competition with the internet sales and the difficulties thereof are not just a Manx problem, many small to medium English retailers are having exactly the same problem.

Some not so small as well, HMV?

Do Tesco wages attract much NIC and ITax?

Guest Buddysmum

I was staying in Grantham in the East Midlands last week. They have a big Asda (open 24 hrs), Sainsburys, Morrisons.Aldi, Lidl (Lidle??) Pets at Home, Currys etc.etc. .....population of the town is approximately 65,000. Ok, there's also lots of villages just outside the town from where shops can draw in custom, but additionally there's a Waitrose, Sainsburys Marks and Spencer, and Tesco just up the A1 in Newark (about a 15 minute drive), , a Marks and Spencer, Iceland and Sainsburys in Stamford just 15 minutes drive away in the other direction,, and a huge massive Tesco down the A1 in Peterborough (which also has Sainsburys, Waitrose etc.etc). . But there's still independent shops in Grantham that seem to be flourishing - about 3 other pet shops I noticed, plus a couple of butchers, about 3 bakers, clothes shops, jewellers etc. There'll always be people who prefer to do business in small independent shops, and if those shops are offering a good choice and good value (even if it's not at the low prices supermarkets charge) then surely they'll continue to do business? Also worth noting, Grantham has a weekly market with dirt-cheap clothes, meat, fruit and veg, pet supplies........ I hate the fact that Manx shops moan and complain about any competition. All they need to do is offer good customer service, a bit of choice, and not charge rip-off prices - then they'll get custom from people who want customer-care that the big names don't offer, even if that comes at a slightly higher price (emphasis on the "slightly" there. Nobody will stand for being ripped off). We all want different things - some people want dirt-cheap prices, others want a more "personal" shopping experience.

Archived