Christmas Shopping

vikingdoom

Guest Buddysmum

I really feel for you having to live in the Isle of Man with all our inferior shops, if life and shopping is so great in Grantham why didnt you stay there!

I'm actually standing up for small independent businesses, if you read my post correctly instead of just dissing everything I say because you've obviously taken a distike to me. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to hold their own against the big boys as long as they' supply a good, fair, value for money service and give the personal service that the big chains can't do.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its pot and kettle here you have practically dissed every shop in Strand Street, starting with McKays which has some really good quality stuff in I bet you havent even been inside just passed judgement. How many small independant business"s are there in Strand Street who sell ladies wear for the over 40"s Do tell how many you can spot! How many small independant shops sell ladies underwear or hats? We need the big boys and they dont do a bad job. If you choose to spend all your money off island fair enough but dont come on here telling us how wonderful shopping is inGrantham . I wouldnt live in Grantham if they had a million shops I love the Isle of Man and support it. Why dont you move to Grantham if it is that special.

Guest Buddysmum

I think its pot and kettle here you have practically dissed every shop in Strand Street, starting with McKays which has some really good quality stuff in I bet you havent even been inside just passed judgement. How many small independant business"s are there in Strand Street who sell ladies wear for the over 40"s Do tell how many you can spot! How many small independant shops sell ladies underwear or hats? We need the big boys and they dont do a bad job. If you choose to spend all your money off island fair enough but dont come on here telling us how wonderful shopping is inGrantham . I wouldnt live in Grantham if they had a million shops I love the Isle of Man and support it. Why dont you move to Grantham if it is that special.

I said I wouldn't shop in Dealz, Peacocks, Internationale or the M one which I presume is the one you're talking about? Don't like them, don't want to go in them - which is my perogative. That's hardly dissing every shop in Strand Street!! Spent a small fortune here yesterday in Next, Marks and Spencer and Abode. OK, the first two are "chains", the second is a Manx store. Happy now???

Guest Buddysmum

I'm liking the sound of Grantham - I might move there once all the local shops have shut down and continue to do all my shopping online.

You'd definitely get your online goods delivered quicker if you lived there :D x

I said I wouldn't shop in Dealz, Peacocks, Internationale or the M one which I presume is the one you're talking about? Don't like them, don't want to go in them - which is my perogative. That's hardly dissing every shop in Strand Street!! Spent a small fortune here yesterday in Next, Marks and Spencer and Abode. OK, the first two are "chains", the second is a Manx store. Happy now???

the first two are chains and the second is a Manx store.....WTF

I went to a local record shop over Christmas. I said to the spotty youth behind the counter, " young man, do you have Jingle Bells on a 7 inch?"

"No sir" he replied. " But I do have Dangling Balls on a 12 inch"

"Are you sure thats a record?" I said.

"No, but not bad for a sixteen year old" he quiped.

i'll get my coat.

Guest Buddysmum

the first two are chains and the second is a Manx store.....WTF

Think I was a bit too full of Christmas spirit when I wrote that post..... ;-D

• 2 years later...

Christmas shopping seems very quiet this year, what do others think?

"Retail expert Mary Portas has accused the government of making "token gestures" to rejuvenate Britain's struggling high streets. As a result of her review three years ago, 27 areas were given funding to build more diverse town centres - but the results have been mixed. Ms Portas has now called for faster action on "crippling" business rates and for local councils to be given the power to take control of empty shops."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30491174

I was in Manchester last weekend I went to their Xmas markets a few times and they were definitely quieter than last year.

Which is not surprising given their prices, £3.50 for a single vanilla slice, £4.50 for a large sausage in a bap, £5.50 for a tea cup of mulled wine, I could go on. Pretty fucking horrendous to be honest and much more expensive than last year.

It looks to me like the local council have woken up to the popularity of the markets and jacked up the cost of a pitch which in turn has led to the stall holders having to hike their prices to exorbitant levels in order to make a decent profit. Yet another good thing ruined by greedy pricks tearing the ass out of it. I won't be back next year.

I heard from a reliable source that footfall outside M&S is 16% down this December so far.

I went to Waterstones to buy a particular book. Not there. Went back to the office and bought from Amazon. No more Christmas shopping in Douglas for me this year.

Lots of people are feeling the pinch because their fixed charges are going up faster than their incomes. This is inevitable because as a nation or even as a continent we are becoming poorer having lived beyond our means for many years. The scenario of the street markets above is a microcosm of what is happening more widely. We can't afford all of the people with non-jobs any longer but they haven't yet realised it and keep whacking up the charges.

Same will happen here with parking charges, increased rates et al. Then they will wonder why discretionary spending on leisure, travel and goods is falling and revenue is down.

Archived