Google To Start Tracking Users Across Services

Foreigner

New privacy policy means Google could log browsing habits on YouTube or Google+ to sell targeted ads in Gmail or search

Google is under fire for plans to collect data on individual users across all of its websites and merge the information into a single profile that can be used to alter the person's search results and target them with advertising and services.

Users will have no way to opt out of being tracked across the board when the search company unifies its privacy policy and terms of service for all its online offerings, including search, Gmail and Google+. The move is being criticised by privacy advocates and could attract greater scrutiny from anti-trust regulators.

"If you're signed in, we may combine information you've provided from one service with information from other services," Google's director of privacy, product and engineering, Alma Whitten, wrote in a blogpost.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/25/google-merge-user-data-privacy?INTCMP=SRCH

----------

Alternative Google Search engines for anyone interested: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/01/22/google-search-alternative-ixquick/

One stop closer to total surveillance. If you think that they'll stop with just monitoring useage for targeted adverts you're very naive.

Then, don't use the internet so much, have mulitple email accounts, problem solved.

Wow! I bet you were the brightest spark in your class at school weren't you?

One stop closer to total surveillance. If you think that they'll stop with just monitoring useage for targeted adverts you're very naive.

Can you explain where you think Google will go with this beyond targeted advertising? It occurs to me that they are only going to do things that are commercially justified.

Also, I seem to think this has been happening for ages. I keep seeing ads for Filipino brides at the bottom of these MT pages, for example!

I use Google. Signed onto lattitude etc. They send you regular emails to remind you they are tracking you.

I find it fascinating. I can log in and it knows where I have been. It knows what phones I have used, what flights I have been on etc etc.

I dont mind at all that adverts on websites I visit are aimed at me. I would rather see an advert banner trying to sell me a canon Lens rather than a random advert for a sex chat line.

Then, don't use the internet so much, have mulitple email accounts, problem solved.

Just in case you have forgotten, the internet is optional, not mandatory.

I think you need to continue to concentrate on some of the realities of now, rather than worry about what may or may not happen in the future.

Just in case you have forgotten, the internet is optional, not mandatory.

I think you need to continue to concentrate on some of the realities of now, rather than worry about what may or may not happen in the future.

The internet is hardly optional, it's a necessity in today's modern technological society. So comment number one isn't entirely correct smart ass.

Unless I am very much mistaken I am concentrating on what's happening now, as a bigger picture and not looking at individual events as mutually exclusive and not interconnected. You take your view and I'll take mine.

Unless I am very much mistaken I am concentrating on what's happening now, as a bigger picture and not looking at individual events as mutually exclusive and not interconnected. You take your view and I'll take mine.

What's happening is that googles taking 60+ different agreements, and rolling them into one. They've also integrated a bunch of products, which users of said products (like me) have been asking them for. It used to be silly when you had a separate account for youtube, picasa, gmail etc and all your friends and whatnot weren't connected. Now they've unified that, and reduced it to one account which means one policy. Great.

Not using the internet is a bit drastic, but you can not use google services if this is an issue for you. There's alternatives for pretty much everything they offer, although it might not be as good.

The internet is hardly optional, it's a necessity in today's modern technological society. So comment number one isn't entirely correct smart ass.

1. Banking. Use a cash point or over the counter. No need to use the internet.
  2. Mobile Phone. Use a pay-as-you go "burn" phone. No need to use the internet.
  3. Shopping. The good old fashioned do it youself method of going to the shop instead of internet shopping.
  4. Research. They have these things called books and the library.
  5. Mail. Yeap that was around before the e-generation developed the email.

Do I need to go on or can you fill in the blanks yourself?

The internet is, and always will be optional. It can be a good reference tool. However, it is about as secure as an unlocked door. Yes, I use Ebay, amazon, etc., but I have a bank account with a different bank in order to avoid problems. Trust the internet at your peril!

The internet is, and always will be optional. It can be a good reference tool. However, it is about as secure as an unlocked door. Yes, I use Ebay, amazon, etc., but I have a bank account with a different bank in order to avoid problems. Trust the internet at your peril!

Don't think it'll always be optional and if it is it'll cost you a fortune to use alternatives.

But let's not confuse various services with the whole of the internet here, they're two very different things. Google isn't 'the internet'.

Archived