Google To Start Tracking Users Across Services

Foreigner

Everything we write or look at on the internet is logged, saved and likely used when needed.

MF uses .com, which is owned by network solutions which is owned by a select group of people from Army, Navy, Airforce, Saic, Cytyc and many more top people.

Whether they use the information gleamed to advance their company, then I wouldn't know, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them have an edge or two.

Everything we write or look at on the internet is logged, saved and likely used when needed.

Not necessarily, and even if you are logged or tracked there's some simple ways to avoid it actually identifying you.

MF uses .com, which is owned by network solutions which is owned by a select group of people from Army, Navy, Airforce, Saic, Cytyc and many more top people.

Whether they use the information gleamed to advance their company, then I wouldn't know, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them have an edge or two.

No the .com tld is owned by the US Government and the registry is managed by Verisign on their behalf. Not sure what that's got to do with information disclosure though?

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/preferences/?hl=en

Google offer an opt out on pretty much all their stuff.

I'm not sure what extra information you think the TLD operator has, but short of changing DNS records (highly noticeable) they can't see traffic (or even users, depending on your DNS servers) to any domains.

Whilst you may find it an inconvenience not to use the biggest search operators, they are businesses and your implicit loss of some aspects of privacy is how they fund their operations. Search engines themselves aren't completely necessary for most tasks, how many sites do you really visit?

As I wrote before, in unifying its privacy policy Google is allowing cross referencing of the personal data it holds across all its web platforms. This will afford it some commercial advantages in targeting advertising. It already targets advertising, it will just do it better.

I don't see cause for alarm, or cause to stop using Google. Sometimes it might even be helpful to know there's a fish restaurant just round the corner to where I actually am.

I think we would all be naive if we thought what we did on the web wasn't observed, by national agencies as much as Google. I was at a public project management event a few years ago where there was a presentation about the challenge GCHQ faced in adapting to the Internet era. Where they used to listen to the radio, they now also listen to the Internet. Obviously, there were no details, but I suspect that they "sniff" all email to look for certain keywords.

We all presumably value national security, and so I personally don't feel threatened by this either.

Archived