Oldham School Planned With All Ex-Forces Staff

wheels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16722703

The first UK school with a teaching staff who have all served in the armed forces is actively recruiting prospective pupils with a view to opening in 2013.

I quite like this idea

LDV will probably go into overdive about it as it involves ex military

A number of my teachers were ex military, were very good with excellent communication, instruction and people skills. Certainly discipline was never an issue obviously

Anyway

Opinions and views anyone?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Opinions and views anyone?

A couple of my teachers at KWC served as officers in WWII and with hindsight I now realise the stress they still suffered from some 25 years later.

I agree, it doesn't matter where they worked previously, BUT they certainly should have training.

I very much dislike the regimented culture they want to instill in their schools, which would presumably be more regimented and hierarchical than that in normal schools. It would do well for the children in going to work, because the more the mind into dumbed down into accepted authority and losing your identity the better.

And I would also be concerned about the sense of righteousness that these men have into thinking that their way is better or best for the kids. What evidence do they have for that? What evidence do they have for the blanket statement that discipline is required and respect is lacking?

However, I don't think enough information is available on what exactly will be done in these schools.

Can't remember the name of the program, but in it basically todays "yuff" are sent to a 50's boarding school and taught to a 50's curriculm and subjected to 50's rules and discipline (within todays laws of course).

Short story, the A* generation of today would have been bottom of the class (didn't have access to calculators and the interwebz back then of course), and the lack of discipline and behaviour simply wouldn't of have existed.

It is thinking like LDVs that has lead to children attacking teachers and upon leaving the school gates, the "yuff" roaming the streets like wild animals with "nah respec ('init!)" for anyone or anything.

"because the more the mind into dumbed down into accepted authority and losing your identity the better" - Are you paid by the litre of drizzle you produce? Joining the military does not cause anyone to lose their individuality or identity. Yet another uninformed opinion from the sidelines I see.

Having been brought up in the sewer that is Oldham (actually that's harsh, it used to be a decent town when I was growing up, it's the arse end of the earth now) I'd say it's not a bad idea as the state of the kids and youth there now are appalling.

I take LDV's point, but slightly differ in that we need to reclaim respect as a core discipline and character trait within society as a whole, not just with the kids. If the standard of teaching doesn't suffer then I think it's a good idea

todays "yuff"

I thought it was 'Yoof'.

Isn't 'Yuff' what *dogs around 6 inches in height say?

*Any thing under 1ft in height referred to as a dog, is not a dog.

Well the language that the hoodlums are using is deteriorating so fast its hard to keep up with what is "in" and what is not.

Now jog on rude boy and check yourself. (Did I say that right?)

My schooldays were spent in the company of ex military personnel, almost all teachers were ex military in those days. A bigger bunch of bullies and twats I have never encountered. This school is to be staffed by untrained personnel entirely. 'Big Stick' has one result and that is bigger thugs.

My schooldays were spent in the company of ex military personnel, almost all teachers were ex military in those days. A bigger bunch of bullies and twats I have never encountered. This school is to be staffed by untrained personnel entirely. 'Big Stick' has one result and that is bigger thugs.

"The idea of the Phoenix school was conceived by Tom Burkard, himself a former teacher and military instructor."

" In 2008 he wrote a report Troops to Teachers for the Centre for Policy Studies, urging the government to adopt a successful US-style programme which retrains ex-servicemen and women as teachers."

Time for a bit of schooling for you: Not all bullies are from the services and not all those from the services are bullies.

Childhood anecdotes are fun, no?

"The techniques being used to keep pupils focused on their lessons are a far cry from the military stereotype that most might conjure up.

There is no screaming or shouting at pupils and no marching them around the playground. At Huntington, voices seem to be very rarely raised."

Full Aunty Beeb piece - http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9407000/9407463.stm

It seems to work in the US. Time will tell if it works here.

Archived