Oldham School Planned With All Ex-Forces Staff

wheels

It is thinking like LDVs that has lead to children attacking teachers and upon leaving the school gates
Oh please, do explain further. How has my thinking led to such attacks. Go.

the "yuff" roaming the streets like wild animals with "nah respec ('init!)" for anyone or anything.
And how many are actually like this?

"because the more the mind into dumbed down into accepted authority and losing your identity the better" - Are you paid by the litre of drizzle you produce? Joining the military does not cause anyone to lose their individuality or identity. Yet another uninformed opinion from the sidelines I see.
Regimentation works to reduce the extent to which a person expressed their individuality. That should be pretty obvious.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is thinking like LDVs that has lead to children attacking teachers and upon leaving the school gates

the "yuff" roaming the streets like wild animals with "nah respec ('init!)" for anyone or anything.

"because the more the mind into dumbed down into accepted authority and losing your identity the better" - Are you paid by the litre of drizzle you produce? Joining the military does not cause anyone to lose their individuality or identity. Yet another uninformed opinion from the sidelines I see.
Regimentation works to reduce the extent to which a person expressed their individuality. That should be pretty obvious.

Well I see it as unified purpose towards a singular goal. I.E. Teamwork. But that would be lost on you.

Lets use building a bridge as an example. It is build to a plan, a plan that the entire bridge building team needs to follow for success. If each person working on the bridge did their own thing and threw in their own indiviual flair...you'd have a disaster.

Well I see it as unified purpose towards a singular goal. I.E. Teamwork. But that would be lost on you.

Lets use building a bridge as an example. It is build to a plan, a plan that the entire bridge building team needs to follow for success. If each person working on the bridge did their own thing and threw in their own indiviual flair...you'd have a disaster.

Relevance?

It isn't relevant, as Lxxx says. Teamwork is a commendable thing and a necessary thing at times. But it can be achieved without regimentation. You seem to have replied on about a entirely different thing.

I agree, it doesn't matter where they worked previously, BUT they certainly should have training.

I very much dislike the regimented culture they want to instill in their schools, which would presumably be more regimented and hierarchical than that in normal schools. It would do well for the children in going to work, because the more the mind into dumbed down into accepted authority and losing your identity the better.

And I would also be concerned about the sense of righteousness that these men have into thinking that their way is better or best for the kids. What evidence do they have for that? What evidence do they have for the blanket statement that discipline is required and respect is lacking?

However, I don't think enough information is available on what exactly will be done in these schools.

I agree that there is insufficient information on what's happening in that particular school, but I do like these;

'Courage, discipline, respect for others, integrity, loyalty and selfless commitment'

From an outside person looking in with no personal attachments to child or school, it seems an interesting 'experiment' and although I've no problems them learning certain skills like that said above, one hopes they can deliver on the knowledge side of things as well.

Relevance?

Do you really need it spelling out?

A group that is regimented will complete a task quicker and more efficiently than a group that is not.

Another example: The Red Arrows. All the pilots are individuals, with their own identies, yet through regimental drill and disciple can pull off the some of the most daring and balls to the wall flying around.

It isn't relevant, as Lxxx says. Teamwork is a commendable thing and a necessary thing at times. But it can be achieved without regimentation. You seem to have replied on about a entirely different thing.

My point exactly. He's off on a tangent banging on about teamwork, which is great, but in relation to the thread...not so great.

Relevance?

A group that is regimented will complete a task quicker and more efficiently than a group that is not.

Another example: The Red Arrows. All the pilots are individuals, with their own identies, yet through regimental drill and disciple can pull off the some of the most daring and balls to the wall flying around.

I get your point, I got it the first time round, but thanks for the clarification.

You can be such a bonehead at times. Try and work this out in your dull mind... I commented about the fact that regimentation leads to people losing their individuality to a large extent. You DISAGREED. When elaborated on this point you went off on a tangent to discuss teamwork.

Do you accept that a person's ability to express their individuality is reduced in a regimented environment than one that is not?

I think it's a bad idea. I have no problem with ex-military re-training as teachers, in fact I think it is to be welcomed as our ex-forces personel have a wealth of experience that could be useful in a teaching career. However, why does anyone think it's a good idea to have a whole school whose staff is entirely composed of ex-military? Spread them out a bit. Surely it's better that all schools have a bit of military experience in them than having it concentrated in a few.

I do understand the argument for military discipline in schools. It is an environment where children are made to obey an authority without question. Without creating an environment of unquestioning obedience, kids will wonder who the teacher is for telling them to do stuff and will question the reasons for them being there, unless they are given good reason. It is a tough issue to resolve.

....will question the reasons for them being there, unless they are given good reason.

Why do kids need to be given a "good" reason to go school? More wooley arsed thinking LDV.

All too often the emphasis is on choice for children. Do you remember the last time you said no to your parents as a child? I don't because I did as I was told (or got a whoop on the backside and soon adjusted my thinking).

Parents have no authority over their children and as a result neither has society.

I read this weekend that one of the MPs in favour of bringing in the anti-smacking laws is now re-thinking his position. Bit late if you ask me.

reg·i·ment

   /n. ˈrɛdʒthinsp.pngəthinsp.pngmənt; v. ˈrɛdʒthinsp.pngəˌmɛnt/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[n. rej-uh-muhthinsp.pngnt; v. rej-uh-ment] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

verb (used with object)

to manage or treat in a rigid, uniform manner; subject to strict discipline.

to form into a regiment or regiments.

to assign to a regiment or group.

to form into an organized group, usually for the purpose of rigid or complete control.

Archived