Star Wars The Old Republic (Swtor)

alpha-acid

Hit 50 on my Vanguard Trooper (Republic Side) a few weeks back and am lvl 40 on my Commando Trooper.

The guild I'm in have cleared 4/5 EV and are trying out Kragga's Palace.

The game is very buggy and still in the wearing in phase but loving the hell out of it.

Screw Pandas and Pokemon.

A fair few of my guildies in WoW immersed themselves in SWTOR when it came out, after a few weeks though, they're starting to come back to WoW, citing the lack of a proper endgame in SWTOR, along with increasingly thin content being stretched out over increasingly tedious quests as you approach the level cap.

It's on my radar, but not at £45 + subscription, I'll be giving it an expansion and some major patches before having a go I think.

Also (as MDO has indicated), it's buggy, glitchy, has serious performance issues, and for the most part is a single player RPG with occasional multiplayer interaction.

Finally, no addons and a dreadful auction house UI. Not even a basic threat meter for instances, that sort of thing.

Also (as MDO has indicated), it's buggy, glitchy, has serious performance issues, and for the most part is a single player RPG with occasional multiplayer interaction.

Finally, no addons and a dreadful auction house UI. Not even a basic threat meter for instances, that sort of thing.

bit like vanilla WoW you mean :)

bit like vanilla WoW you mean smile.png

Absolutely.

WoW is only where it is now because it's many years old, it's not SWTOR's 'fault' that it's a new MMO and it has a load of holes in it, because WoW was just as bad if not worse in the early days.

Point is though, that once you get past the whole 'Ooooh shiny Star Wars' thing, SWTOR is still an MMO, and in that regard, WoW has it beat.

• 1 month later...

What's the estimated subs now? Been searching online and from what I can gather it peaked at around 1.5 million around January. Looking at alot of forum posts, there seems to be loads of people that have unsubscribed in the last 2 weeks. I didn't get round to trying it out because I don't really get off on the RP stuff and and I much prefer end game challenging content (or the achievement of getting there).

GW2 is getting a few mentions, D3 in May and MOP beta close after will be keeping me busy. Someone was talking about Tera online looking like it might create some waves in Europe but I don't know a great deal about it and Don't think I have enough hours in the day for another MMO

I may give SWTOR a chance if the patch or a later one gets people buzzing about it again. One thing I read was that they are getting a shit load of GM's in the game to provide random events which sounds like fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a good play with patch 1.2 last night:

UI: BIG improvement allowing users to not only move everything visible, but to also allow for individual and global scaling of components. Overall, very nice.

New warzone: Big disappointment i'm afraid. I would have liked to seen larger scale battles, after all, it's Star Wars!!! Mechanics are boring, basically hold 2 bases/control panels. With Illum now completely pointless and EU servers near empty, something needs to be done as the game itself is brilliant.

Legacy: Nice addition for the committed player, but, the shared purchasable abilities such as reducing the CD of your 'hearth' by 6 mins just isn't worth it. They cost a bomb!

there's lots of other elements yet such as crafting which i haven't tried since patch.

Like I said earlier though, maybe I was, maybe I wasn't in the last beta (NDA) and this weekend coming, but I'll be moving to GW2 as I 'hear' the PVP is awesome - large scale 2 week battles across 3 servers, with mechanics to match.

• 1 month later...

ToR isn't that bad, it isn't finished by a long shot but it's still a fun game, just treat it as Knights of the Old Fepublic 3 with a multiplayer add on and not as an MMO and it will meet expectations.

Looking forward to GW2 and TES:O too, both look like they'll be incredible!

ToR isn't that bad, it isn't finished by a long shot but it's still a fun game, just treat it as Knights of the Old Fepublic 3 with a multiplayer add on and not as an MMO and it will meet expectations.

Looking forward to GW2 and TES:O too, both look like they'll be incredible!

Thing is I hate paying a monthly subscription to be a Beta tester what was meant to be the AAA game to end them all.

Its was rushed and poorely executed.

A lot of the bugs are sorted out now, the only issues nowadays are the lack of endgame content and server populations, but raids will come with patches and as a serial Alt-oholic I don't really mind the wait so much, plus the populations will be normalised at some point... Bioware HAVE to...

Archived