Former Rbs Boss Sir Fred Goodwin To Lose Knighthood

Amadeus

Just shows how flawed the UK 'honours' system really is. Why do they need a system with 'titles' that are used to reward people for doing the job they are paid for? If Freddie had not been a 'Sir' would anyone have been concerned one way or another if he had lost a medal?

Why not have an 'Order of the United Kingdom' with say two levels, Member and Officer? I think that there are currently about 14 levels including peerages.

If I were him and bearing in mind how much money he has I would be tempted, very tempted to buy one of those honors that go with a small castle in Scotland, not the certificates on the internet, real titles that go with land. (:-))

You can buy a Scottish feudal Barony and actually use that as part of your name ie you can publicly call yourself "Baron" (as in well known wannabe MHK by the name of Boot).....but an English manorial title means you can say I am "Lord of the Manor of .....wherever." ...

But you cannot use the term "Lord" in your name....Neither an English manorial Lord nor a Scottish feudal Baron can sit in the House of Lords and it is all a bit pseudo unless your ancestors once held these titles....Meaningless!....I think "poser" describes it all!....

Mind you maybe the titles have a different impact under Manx law???

What about the ones that have been in prison for fiddling expenses and now are sitting again in the House of Lords getting paid for each time the attend? Fortunately there is a Bill going through that will have them excluded for life if they offend, this will affect quite a few in the Lords at this moment in time.

Archived