More Rubbish Needed

TheTool

this is the quote from the manx radio website :

Local Government and Environment Minister John Rimington says extra fuel is needed at the incinerator because not enough waste is being burned there.

He was responding to a question in the House of Keys from Onchan MHK Peter Karran about the practice of burning extra fuel to keep the plant’s grate at the correct temperature.

Mr Rimington says although there are problems, he is confident that, as the amount of waste goes up, the plant will need less supplementary fuel.

Now we were talking about the silver elephant the other week and how it is only running at 25 to 40% capacity now the proof is out.

Why don't they let us take all our burnable waste to the energy from waste plant for nothing instead of paying for fuel to keep it running.

I am not a expert inn these matters but surely free fuel is better than spending money on oil or gas.

I agree with waste charges but i don't agree with having to pay £100 a ton for stuff that will just get burnt.

Blind leading the blind as usual

instead of paying for fuel to keep it running.

Why are we paying for the running off it? I thought it was taken over by a private company.

If it was taken over then they should be paying to run it surely?

They are buying in crushed timber and sub standard logging from DAFF as we speak at a fraction of the price DAFF charges a member of the public. They may also be burning the Cake from the treatment plant at Santon

instead of paying for fuel to keep it running.

Why are we paying for the running off it? I thought it was taken over by a private company.

If it was taken over then they should be paying to run it surely?

Because the Government over estimated the waste material to be burnt, thats why we have to pay £2 million pa compensation

The wasted energy plant as I like to call it, is another of our governments recent total f**k -ups.

None of us wanted the ugly monstrousity in the first place, knowing that it is much better for the environment to recycle our waste.

Now with this thing, we're stuck with a huge bill to pay it off, ridiculous costs to keep it running, even though it was a total waste of our money in the first place.

Incinerator, Power Station, IRIS, total lack of drainage at the new hospital, the old wedding cake building - is our government actually capable of getting anything right ??

I'm so sick of hearing of one government f**k-up to the next, why o why is the IOM being run by a bunch of senseless muppets??

And whatever happened to John Rimmington? - He was quite into his "green" politics a few years back - did he sell out when he became a member of the government??

o yeah i also was told that the post a rose nursery were asked if they wanted free heat from the energy from waste plant and they turned the offer down lol muppets

Not necessarily. Once locked into that source of heating it would only be a matter of time before they started to be charged.

I still suspect that it will only be a matter of time before some proposal is made to import waste and burn that --- all for the best possible reasons, of course.

The questions then must be firstly what kind of waste and secondly who will monitor that the ‘wrong’ kind doesn’t slip through.

Disposal of hazardous waste is a real money spinner in the UK and the whole of Europe and all sorts of things get done in spite of legislation.

Particularly nasty are the low volume high risk materials or the waste that must be incinerated at a high temperature before the by-products are ‘at an acceptable state of toxicity’.

Folks need to keep a VERY careful eye on what happens at the facility that is being used at such an under capacity level at present. I’ll bet that right now it is being viewed as a valuable and available resource that is ready and open for exploitation.

I still suspect that it will only be a matter of time before some proposal is made to import waste and burn that --- all for the best possible reasons, of course.

Couldn't we just cut out the middle man and chuck our money into the incinerator?

Couldn't we just cut out the middle man and chuck our money into the incinerator?

I thought we'd already done that!

Why dont they just 'cut with the crap' and start importing UK waste to burn? THAT was the real plan....OBVIOUSLY! Even I can do the maths on the Islands population and the amount of rubbish needed for the supercinerator - we just do not make enough garbage man!

Matty made a very good point about recycling, the Island is soo poor at being green. We could be ace but sadly the Government are, as Mupster so eloquently put it, ******* useless.

Archived