Praying No Longer On Council Meeting Agenda

La_Dolce_Vita

That is a different issue...

...but does everyone have irrational beliefs of some kind? Not sure about that at all. We are all irrational in our thinking at times, but other than astrology and ghosts, I cannot think of any other irrational beliefs.

And as I mentioned to Evilgoblin, yes, we are irrational at times. But that should not mean we should embrace being irrational and think it is a good thing. That seems to be what we do with religion. Faith is seen to be a virtue. People with strong religious convictions based on faith are more often than not admired regardless of the content of their beliefs.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when Cronky says 69 or whatever it is percent of the UK identify themselves on the census as Christians, and therefore Christian mores should be given democratic legitimacy, you agree with him? Cronky is expropriating people to his cause because they, in a very narrow question, have defined themselves as Christians. Dawkins has gone and sampled these people and found the majority of them are in favour of secular policies. The Bishops, various high church politicians, and Cronky, are making alot more out of this self defined group of Christians than is legitimate to do so when you ask them about their views.

To recap the '69%' figure came from a survey of 413,832 people by the Office of National Statistics. The purpose, broadly speaking, of such a survey is to inform Government of public opinion so it can better write it's policies to better suit the electorate. The question asked was:

' What is your religion, even if you are not currently practising?' which measures religious affiliation - that is identification with a religion irrespective of actual practice or belief.

and the answer across the whole of Great Britain was 68.5 % Christian.

I do not see how you could reasonably use this result to make a case for beginning a process of disestablishment.

As regards the case for the status quo I think the speech made by the Queen today encapsulates the situation very well:

The Church is under-appreciated says the Queen

http://www.telegraph...-the-Queen.html

In a timely address to leaders of Britain's nine main religions at Lambeth Palace, London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, she highlighted the importance of faith in society and the "critical guidance" it offered in life.

"The concept of our established Church is occasionally misunderstood and, I believe, commonly under-appreciated," she said.

"Its role is not to defend Anglicanism to the exclusion of other religions. Instead, the Church has a duty to protect the free practice of all faiths in this country."

The monarch, speaking at the first public event to mark her Diamond Jubilee, said that Church was "woven into the fabric of this country" and had helped to build a better society.

It has "created an environment for other faith communities and indeed people of no faith to live freely",

I strongly support the time honoured British values of give and take, common sense and fair play.

If it 'aint broke don't fix it.

Just a silly question really, but... Do Castletown Commissioners have prayers at the start of their meetings and, if so, is Mr Patel ( a Hindu, I believe), expected to take part in them?
They will only allow him to shout "Shiiiiiva!!!!!" at the beginning and end of meetings to open and close them. It is the only concession they allow there.

But he is forced to pray, as he has been told that he will burn in hell if he doesn't.

Is all debate useless if we aren't directly involved in a topic then? Could we, for instance, discuss 3rd world hunger because that doesn't affect are lives and largely we have no effect on it (unfortunately). Discussing that wouldn't be useless would it?

Many people are fed up of the unjustified power and representation religion gets and its been most interesting debating it. I look forward to a time that its place in politics is eradicated forever. Is that the sort of statement what you would call a rant?

Archived