Using The Toilet 101

wheels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16983788

Posters have gone up around a university campus instructing students on how to use the toilet properly.

Swansea University says it has produced them to help address cultural differences.

The posters include images showing students what they should and should not do.

Bonus question for 10 points on University Challenge next year?

Arabs don't use their hands for personal wiping, they use a shower to wash afterwards. They also use their clothes as hankies and will happily light a fire in the middle of the room, on the carpet! to cook on.

Some cultures have holes in the floor instead of a toilet pan. Easier to clean IMO

I would have thought the posh Londin hotels would have been able to specifically cater for their more wealthy clientele.

I came across one of those hole in the ground set ups in a bar in Marseille back in the 80s

Very colourful

The very practical "squat and hover" footprint toilets were the norm in France when I first started "going" there (sorry.) For info the incidence of hernias was far less in continental footprint countries than it was in the wc UK which was put down to the far more natural positioning for this necessary function. There you go.... (sorry again)

Question, anyone know why the toilets in Austria, maybe more places too, have a "shelf" that your "discharge" sits on until you flush?

I found the very disconcerting "collect and inspect" setups were most common in Holland. Apparently the shape, texture and colour of your poo can give certain insights into your general state of health. Except after eight pints and a Phall that is. Not that you would care by then...

Apparently the shape, texture and colour of your poo can give certain insights into your general state of health.

Quite right

And differences for more than a short period or signs of blood etc are a good early warning for problems minor & major including bowel cancer

Didn't the early Chinese Emperors have a chap whose job was to inspect the rulers jobbies for any problems?

IIRC there was such a scene in the film the Last Emperor

Question, anyone know why the toilets in Austria, maybe more places too, have a "shelf" that your "discharge" sits on until you flush?

I heard that it was for checking for worms. But our friendly wiki says otherwise:

Reverse bowl design

In Germany, Netherlands, and some regions of Poland, the bowl is designed to hold the fecal matter out of the water prior to flushing by means of a receiver shelf, whereas most U.S. or U.K. designs immediately allow it to plunge into standing water. This reverse design prevents the occurrence of any splash-up which commonly happens when fecal matter plunges into the standing water in the standard designs (although substantial deposits may cause splash-up problems of their own). The disadvantage is that it also increases the associated odor and may require the use of a brush to remove bits of feces that may have "skid-marked" on the shelf. Similar designs are found in some early toilets in the U.S., one particular brand being labeled the "Grand Niagara", as the flushing of the shelf creates a waterfall effect into the drain chamber.

I heard that it was for checking for worms. But our friendly wiki says otherwise:

Reverse bowl design

In Germany, Netherlands, and some regions of Poland, the bowl is designed to hold the fecal matter out of the water prior to flushing by means of a receiver shelf, whereas most U.S. or U.K. designs immediately allow it to plunge into standing water. This reverse design prevents the occurrence of any splash-up which commonly happens when fecal matter plunges into the standing water in the standard designs (although substantial deposits may cause splash-up problems of their own). The disadvantage is that it also increases the associated odor and may require the use of a brush to remove bits of feces that may have "skid-marked" on the shelf. Similar designs are found in some early toilets in the U.S., one particular brand being labeled the "Grand Niagara", as the flushing of the shelf creates a waterfall effect into the drain chamber.

The "worms" thing I had been told too but thought it may just be an urban legend type thing.

I really dont see the need for a shelf to prevent "splash back", a couple of sheets of loo roll down the toilet before always works for me! Over-engineering me thinks on the Germans part.

Reverse bowl design

The "worms" thing I had been told too but thought it may just be an urban legend type thing.

I really dont see the need for a shelf to prevent "splash back", a couple of sheets of loo roll down the toilet before always works for me! Over-engineering me thinks on the Germans part.

Did you see the guy in the last series of Dragon's Den who had 'invented' a device to put in the bowl to prevent splashback? The dragons couldn't say 'I'm out' quick enough.

Archived