Constitution Bill

Slim

From Manxradio.com:

The Isle of Man is a step closer establishing a parliament where all the members are elected by the public.

The Constitution Bill achieved its second reading in the Legislative Council on Tuesday, with Eddie Lowey's the only vote against.

The bill has already been in the committee stage for five months and a raft of amendments is likely.

However, the Island now seems set to embrace a fully elected 32 member Tynwald, from which a legislative committee would be chosen.

Pamela Crowe MLC (pictured) is the member in charge of the bill:

"Pamela Crowe MLC (pictured) is the member in charge of the bill: "

From what I've seen in the past that sentence alone leads me to shout a resounding 'YES' to the question at the start of this thread

Constitution Bill, So, still think IOM Govts corrupt?

It's a start anyway, which is good, but Dominic Delaney's departure still concerns me.

Mr Delaney aint started yet, its my opinion that he is going to be the loose cannon that fires the damage at Government.

He got shafted so he will shaft them back

Is there really a need for a second chamber to revise legislation? Why not just abolish the House of keys and LEGCO and have a 33 member Tynwald. One chamber, all elected. From that a Council of Ministers can be elected. One for each ministry and no departmental members. Then the COMIN can be challenged without present departmental members kissing butt for a few dollars more. This would pave the way for proper political parties to be encouraged.

Also there should be single seat constituencies and proportional representation.

I understand the latter seems more fair but can someone explain how it works?

At present though I hope big Dom gets elected and takes revenge.

The fact that the keys elected Downie and Butt to LEGCO by secret ballot absolutely stinks. Even though I think Dudley Butt a good choice to be a revisor of legislation due to his legal experience.

We should know how our representatives have voted.

Open transparent Government/parliament at present it is not.

Yes, still think the IOm Govt corrupt. You won't get rid of corruption until you get rid of the corrupt. There's an old saying 'fish rot from the head'. I notice that the hopeless celtic league very much approve of the use of tasers by police. These are highly dangerous if you read the research. Good luck.

Archived