James Murdoch Quits News International

Manx1Bloke

from BBC

James Murdoch has stepped down as executive chairman of News International, the UK newspaper business that owns the Sun and the Times titles.

The newspaper publisher has been tainted by phone-hacking allegations.

The scandal led the company to close its News of the World title in July last year.

Mr Murdoch will remain as deputy chief operating officer of parent group News Corporation, run by his father Rupert.

'Bigger picture'

James Murdoch, 39, said: "I deeply appreciate the dedication of my many talented colleagues at News International who work tirelessly to inform the public."

He added that the launch of a new Sunday edition of the Sun and "new business practices" put the company in a "strong position" for the future.

_58788555_jex_1335920_de27-1.jpg

BBC's Hugh Pym: Move "extremely significant"

Last year, James Murdoch twice appeared before the UK Parliament's Culture, Media and Sport Committee to answer questions as part of its inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.

Rupert Murdoch, chairman and chief executive of News Corporation, joined his son at one of the hearings.

Paul Connew, a former News of the World deputy editor, said he was not surprised that James Murdoch had stood down.

"I think you've got to look at the bigger picture here," said Mr Connew.

"Quite clearly there's going to be criticism of James Murdoch in the culture and media select committee report, which presumably will be coming out in the not too distant future, and I think essentially he's been moved out of the firing line."

'Lasting contributions'

James Murdoch's departure also comes as the separate Leveson Inquiry continues to investigate the culture, practices and ethics of the British press as a result of the phone-hacking allegations.

BBC business editor Robert Peston said he had been told by a senior News Corporation executive that the company's UK newspaper business "did not need more than one Murdoch in charge".

"What he meant is that Rupert Murdoch, with the launch of the Sun on Sunday, is showing that he is back overseeing the group's British newspapers," said our business editor.

"So James Murdoch can concentrate on what he is said to enjoy most, which is running News Corporation's television interests outside the US."

In a statement, Rupert Murdoch said: "We are all grateful for James' leadership at News International and across Europe and Asia, where he has made lasting contributions to the group's strategy in paid digital content and its efforts to improve and enhance governance programs."

He added that James would now "continue to assume a variety of essential corporate leadership mandates, with particular focus on pay-TV businesses and broader international operations".

James Murdoch also remains chairman at satellite broadcaster BSkyB, of which News Corporation owns 39%.

I bought the Sun on Sunday the first edition. Took me three minutes to read it. No different from the weekday Sun. A bloody comic for the unwashed working classes who think no further than TV soaps or the size of a woman's tits.

Archived