Fury Over Attack On British War Graves In Benghazi

Wrecking graves is never going to be a popular pastime but then neither is executing Afghan families in their homes or firing rockets into Gaza. Syria and Libya obviously have their own problems. There is so much bad shit in the news at the moment I find myself not wanting to digest it. Perhaps being a touch sensationalist, it feels like a world war could be round the corner.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lxxx, I don't know about what you missed, but I certainly missed the invasion of Libya by the UK, France or the USA. Where? When?

Its one of those secret society (Illuminatie, Cult of Chuthlu, take your pick) that he keeps banging on about that most of planned it 500 years before it happened.

And it must be true because he read it on the blog of a Bosnian Serb, who was high on meth at the time he typed it. But its got to be true because its not in the main stream media.

As that fine upstanding member of the US government Henry Kissinger was reported to have said "Military Men Are Just Dumb, Stupid Animals To Be Used As Pawns In Foreign Policy".

Many potential recruits into the forces would do well to heed that comment before signing up to a career as a big business whipping boy.

Lxxx, I don't know about what you missed, but I certainly missed the invasion of Libya by the UK, France or the USA. Where? When?

Its one of those secret society (Illuminatie, Cult of Chuthlu, take your pick) that he keeps banging on about that most of planned it 500 years before it happened.

And it must be true because he read it on the blog of a Bosnian Serb, who was high on meth at the time he typed it. But its got to be true because its not in the main stream media.

Afternoon Einstein.

Intervention in Libya was not an invasion and the government is not a puppet government. But I agree with you on the reasons for intervention and I disagreed with the Libyan bombings.

It was never about helping the rebels for the rebels betterment and for democracy. Nor because Gaddafi was some guy who the West always wanted to get rid of.

I can understand why people destroyed the graves. There is a lot of anger against the West. And many people were big supporters of Gaddafi.

As that fine upstanding member of the US government Henry Kissinger was reported to have said "Military Men Are Just Dumb, Stupid Animals To Be Used As Pawns In Foreign Policy".

Many potential recruits into the forces would do well to heed that comment before signing up to a career as a big business whipping boy.

It is because of Military Men (and women) that you are allowed to exercise the right to talk what ever bollocks you choose to spout.

Afternoon Einstein.

Afternoon conspiracy theory nut job

It is because of Military Men (and women) that you are allowed to exercise the right to talk what ever bollocks you choose to spout.

Only those who were involved in WW2. Who were primarily conscripts. And then of course the war effort rested heavily on the civilian work. Military men didn't win it alone.

But I don't think you picked up the meaning behind Lxxx comment from Henry Kissinger.

Only those who were involved in WW2. Who were primarily conscripts. And then of course the war effort rested heavily on the civilian work. Military men didn't win it alone.

But I don't think you picked up the meaning behind Lxxx comment from Henry Kissinger.

And who'se graves was it that were desicrated...oh thats right men from World War 2. You can close the door on your way out if you like.

Kissinger underwent basic training at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he was naturalized upon arrival. The Army sent him to study engineering at Lafayette College, Pennsylvania, but the program was cancelled, and Kissinger was reassigned to the 84th Infantry Division. There, he made the acquaintance of Fritz Kraemer, a fellow immigrant from Germany who despite the age difference, noted Kissinger's fluency in German and his intellect, and arranged for him to be assigned to the military intelligence section of the division. Kissinger saw combat with the division, and volunteered for hazardous intelligence duties during the Battle of the Bulge.[8]

During the American advance into Germany, Kissinger, only a private, was put in charge of the administration of the city of Krefeld, owing to a lack of German speakers on the division's intelligence staff. Within eight days he had established a civilian administration.[9] Kissinger was then reassigned to the Counter Intelligence Corps, with the rank of Sergeant. He was given charge of a team in Hanover assigned to tracking down Gestapo officers and other saboteurs, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.[10] In June 1945, Kissinger was made commandant of a CIC detachment in the Bergstrasse district of Hesse, with responsibility for de-Nazification of the district. Although he possessed absolute authority and powers of arrest, Kissinger took care to avoid abuses against the local population by his command.[11]

In 1946, Kissinger was reassigned to teach at the European Command Intelligence School at Camp King, continuing to serve in this role as a civilian employee following his separation from the Army.[12][13]

Kissinger underwent basic training at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he was naturalized upon arrival. The Army sent him to study engineering at Lafayette College, Pennsylvania, but the program was cancelled, and Kissinger was reassigned to the 84th Infantry Division. There, he made the acquaintance of Fritz Kraemer, a fellow immigrant from Germany who despite the age difference, noted Kissinger's fluency in German and his intellect, and arranged for him to be assigned to the military intelligence section of the division. Kissinger saw combat with the division, and volunteered for hazardous intelligence duties during the Battle of the Bulge.[8]

During the American advance into Germany, Kissinger, only a private, was put in charge of the administration of the city of Krefeld, owing to a lack of German speakers on the division's intelligence staff. Within eight days he had established a civilian administration.[9] Kissinger was then reassigned to the Counter Intelligence Corps, with the rank of Sergeant. He was given charge of a team in Hanover assigned to tracking down Gestapo officers and other saboteurs, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.[10] In June 1945, Kissinger was made commandant of a CIC detachment in the Bergstrasse district of Hesse, with responsibility for de-Nazification of the district. Although he possessed absolute authority and powers of arrest, Kissinger took care to avoid abuses against the local population by his command.[11]

In 1946, Kissinger was reassigned to teach at the European Command Intelligence School at Camp King, continuing to serve in this role as a civilian employee following his separation from the Army.[12][13]

Relevance?

Lxxx perhaps you could explain the relevance of the Kissinger quote in relation to the desecration of the graves?

As I said in my original post in response to the OP, I think the desecration is regrettable. It is also a breach of article 17 of the Geneva Convention, and therefore illegal under international law.

I don't think the motivation of the perpetrators (which I fully understand) changes the regrettable nature of what they did or its illegality, and I certainly wouldn't want to be an apologist for an act like this.

Lxxx perhaps you could explain the relevance of the Kissinger quote in relation to the desecration of the graves?

As I said in my original post in response to the OP, I think the desecration is regrettable. It is also a breach of article 17 of the Geneva Convention, and therefore illegal under international law.

I don't think the motivation of the perpetrators (which I fully understand) changes the regrettable nature of what they did or its illegality, and I certainly wouldn't want to be an apologist for an act like this.

Follow the flow of the thread and I'm sure you'll pick it up.

'International Law' is a farce anyway, it's sidestepped on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating desecration of graves and disrespecting of the dead, I am merely pointing out that when you're the latest victim of western imperialism then moral codes of conduct don't seem too high on the agenda when emotions run as high as they would be at present.

And who'se graves was it that were desicrated...oh thats right men from World War 2. You can close the door on your way out if you like.

Yes they were. I just don't want you to give our readers the wrong impression were they to think that military men, other than those in WW2, made those freedoms possible, as so often happens.

Follow the flow of the thread and I'm sure you'll pick it up.

'International Law' is a farce anyway, it's sidestepped on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating desecration of graves and disrespecting of the dead, I am merely pointing out that when you're the latest victim of western imperialism then moral codes of conduct don't seem too high on the agenda when emotions run as high as they would be at present.

Lxxx I don't have any problem comprehending, but the Kissinger quote seems to be a non sequetur. Surely it is simply a wry comment on the lot of military men?

I'm surprised that you dismiss international law so easily, especially as in your original post on this subject you say that the UK, France and USA illegally invaded Libya.

I didn't accuse you of advocating the desecration of graves, but I do think you are an apologist for the illegal actions of the desecraters through your moral relativism.

Archived