Fury Over Attack On British War Graves In Benghazi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read Lxxx comments as explaining why they have been desecrating. In other words why we can understand it and should understand it. I don't think Lxxx has yet said that it was just fine.

Lxxx is telling us about the motivation of the people who did it, and whilst I have a slightly different slant on that I agree that their motivation is understandable. However, that doesn't change the fact that the desecration was wrong and contrary to international law.

Well we can talk about the matter of desecratio being wrong, but the matter of International Law is difficult but the history of its adherence is such to make it a dodgy area with which to rest our morality. I imagine that is what Lxxx is getting at. We agree with the Geneva Convention and related laws, but that's because we think desecration of this sort is wrong.

As that fine upstanding member of the US government Henry Kissinger was reported to have said "Military Men Are Just Dumb, Stupid Animals To Be Used As Pawns In Foreign Policy".

Many potential recruits into the forces would do well to heed that comment before signing up to a career as a big business whipping boy.

Kissinger underwent basic training at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he was naturalized upon arrival. The Army sent him to study engineering at Lafayette College, Pennsylvania, but the program was cancelled, and Kissinger was reassigned to the 84th Infantry Division. There, he made the acquaintance of Fritz Kraemer, a fellow immigrant from Germany who despite the age difference, noted Kissinger's fluency in German and his intellect, and arranged for him to be assigned to the military intelligence section of the division. Kissinger saw combat with the division, and volunteered for hazardous intelligence duties during the Battle of the Bulge.[8]

During the American advance into Germany, Kissinger, only a private, was put in charge of the administration of the city of Krefeld, owing to a lack of German speakers on the division's intelligence staff. Within eight days he had established a civilian administration.[9] Kissinger was then reassigned to the Counter Intelligence Corps, with the rank of Sergeant. He was given charge of a team in Hanover assigned to tracking down Gestapo officers and other saboteurs, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star.[10] In June 1945, Kissinger was made commandant of a CIC detachment in the Bergstrasse district of Hesse, with responsibility for de-Nazification of the district. Although he possessed absolute authority and powers of arrest, Kissinger took care to avoid abuses against the local population by his command.[11]

In 1946, Kissinger was reassigned to teach at the European Command Intelligence School at Camp King, continuing to serve in this role as a civilian employee following his separation from the Army.[12][13]

Relevance?

Henry Kissinger was a Military Man. I think you can work the rest out yourself.

Follow the flow of the thread and I'm sure you'll pick it up.

'International Law' is a farce anyway, it's sidestepped on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong I am not advocating desecration of graves and disrespecting of the dead, I am merely pointing out that when you're the latest victim of western imperialism then moral codes of conduct don't seem too high on the agenda when emotions run as high as they would be at present.

Lxxx I don't have any problem comprehending, but the Kissinger quote seems to be a non sequetur. Surely it is simply a wry comment on the lot of military men?

I'm surprised that you dismiss international law so easily, especially as in your original post on this subject you say that the UK, France and USA illegally invaded Libya.

I didn't accuse you of advocating the desecration of graves, but I do think you are an apologist for the illegal actions of the desecraters through your moral relativism.

Okay if we're micro-analysing the thread then the Kissinger quote was slightly off topic, but the essence behind the quote was very relevant to the discussion.

You can manipulate as many UN resolutions as you want, you can keep changing the wording and knocking on the door until you get something slightly legitimate passed, but that doesn't warrant what happened in Libya. Nor Iraq. Nor what is happening now with regards to Syria and Iran. Thankfully we will now hopefully see Russia and China develop the backbone they should have shown last year and veto any military action there.

There is a huge difference between being an apologist and trying to understand the reasons why people do what they did in desecrating the graves. You would do well to think a little laterally in understanding that.

Lxxx,as I wrote in response to LDV's post, you are telling us about the motivation of the people who did it, and whilst I have a slightly different slant on that I agree that their motivation is understandable.That doesn't need any lateral thought. Understanding the motive doesn't change the fact that the desecration was wrong and contrary to international law. Citing arguments about Security Council resolutions concerning Libya, Syria and Iran doesn't change that either. I therefore think unequivocal condemnation is justified and required.

Lxxx,as I wrote in response to LDV's post, you are telling us about the motivation of the people who did it, and whilst I have a slightly different slant on that I agree that their motivation is understandable.That doesn't need any lateral thought. Understanding the motive doesn't change the fact that the desecration was wrong and contrary to international law. Citing arguments about Security Council resolutions concerning Libya, Syria and Iran doesn't change that either. I therefore think unequivocal condemnation is justified and required.

When you come back from out of your own backside you'll re-read what you've just wrote and see you've probably just wasted about 5 minutes of your life writing four and a half lines of drivel. I answered each of your points in turn and still you waffle on about unequivocal condemnation of desecrating graves, something which isn't even up for discussion or deliberation. No-one is arguing that it is okay to do that, so get off your high horse and come back down to earth.

When you come back from out of your own backside you'll re-read what you've just wrote and see you've probably just wasted about 5 minutes of your life writing four and a half lines of drivel. I answered each of your points in turn and still you waffle on about unequivocal condemnation of desecrating graves, something which isn't even up for discussion or deliberation. No-one is arguing that it is okay to do that, so get off your high horse and come back down to earth.

Thanks Lxxx. Noted.

Archived