Self Appointed Crazy-Haired Bossy Bat Has A Go At Chairman Of Whitley Council For Doing His Job Properly

oldmanxfella

I was surprised that this spat had not already made it to MF:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/you-re-not-in-the-army-now-angela-moffatt-tells-alf-cannan-mhk-1-4316238

It seems the Angela Moffat - that acknowledged expert in self promotion and general random self opinionated gobbiness - has had a go at Alf Cannan for trying to be tough dealing with the unions over pay. Somebody said it here before but Alf worked in recruitment for donkey's years and obviously knows a thing or two about pay and conditions and dealing with employer disputes etc. Now he is being professional and tough on their unrealistic demands the Corpse Bride seems to prefer having a noisy hissy fit in the papers when she and her members can't get their own way.

Its a shame that tough people like Alf have not been on Whitley Council for decades instead of a bunch of straw men bending over to every whim put forward by the union and its membership over the years.

Get used to it, this is hopefully the shape of government negotiations to come.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess it's easy to say no to the great unwashed when you're sitting pretty with a massive salary & gilt edged pension. If he was really serious about lack of funds for wages perhaps he should lead by example & take a pay cut himself.

Well I guess it's easy to say no to the great unwashed when you're sitting pretty with a massive salary & gilt edged pension. If he was really serious about lack of funds for wages perhaps he should lead by example & take a pay cut himself.

Why should he? He has had the pay and pension for what, 4-5 months? Its not like he's been a pig at the trough for decades like some of the others.

Why should he? He has had the pay and pension for what, 4-5 months? Its not like he's been a pig at the trough for decades like some of the others.

Give it ten years - like father like son

http://www.iomtoday....n-mhk-1-4316238

It seems the Angela Moffat - that acknowledged expert in self promotion and general random self opinionated gobbiness - has had a go at Alf Cannan for trying to be tough dealing with the unions over pay. Somebody said it here before but Alf worked in recruitment for donkey's years and obviously knows a thing or two about pay and conditions and dealing with employer disputes etc. Now he is being professional and tough on their unrealistic demands the Corpse Bride seems to prefer having a noisy hissy fit in the papers when she and her members can't get their own way.

Its a shame that tough people like Alf have not been on Whitley Council for decades instead of a bunch of straw men bending over to every whim put forward by the union and its membership over the years.

I think she is correct, his comments are unnecessarily antagonistic and show a lack of awareness of collective bargaining

I think she is correct, his comments are unnecessarily antagonistic and show a lack of awareness of collective bargaining

Welcome to the recession. It's what people in the real world have been living through for the last 4 years - I'm tired of listening to government workers whinging and bitching about people trying to deliver slabs of realism into their lives. If you don't like it find another job. Oh no there aren't any on anywhere near the terms you currently enjoy so you'll just have to put up with it and STFU.

Welcome to the recession. It's what people in the real world have been living through for the last 4 years - I'm tired of listening to government workers whinging and bitching about people trying to deliver slabs of realism into their lives. If you don't like it find another job. Oh no there aren't any on anywhere near the terms you currently enjoy so you'll just have to put up with it and STFU.

She is an embarassment. I had great regard for her father (remember the TV licensing enforcement work permit coup?) but she just hasn't got the same nous, aplomb or intelligence - she just rages about whatever the current hobby horse is. AC is running rings round her.

If you dont like it find another job? Why should I do that? I am employed in the private sector - why did you assume that I was employed in the public sector?

I think that his tactics are less than optimal and will not result in the best deal for Government

Hboy - but in real world employers have built a trust with their employees and their representatives. And junior newly appointed board members don't undermine the relationship by making grandstanding speeches at the AGM undermining the chairman's strategy.

In Cannon & Moffett's defence the both inherited a situation where employees are treated as rebellious school kids and are acting out the roles assigned to them.

As an example, the Tech Refectorary was threatened with closure because of losses but then the staff came up with suggestions to save money. But I'd ask why only at that critical point? Perhaps, it's because there's not a culture of partnership within Government and managers manage and staff grumble and get on with it.

That culture has to have been top down (remember the last CM was a 70's throwback) but Moffet doesn't help matters. I'd hate to have her speaking for me (and I'm a union member in the private sector) because even when she's right she contrives to sound wrong.

Cannon needs to sharpen up his act, pugnacious belligerence may have been his Dad's way but it achieves nothing in the 21st Centuary.

If you dont like it find another job? Why should I do that? I am employed in the private sector - why did you assume that I was employed in the public sector?

I think that his tactics are less than optimal and will not result in the best deal for Government

Seriously? Less than optimal has been the situation in the last few years because no-one stood up to the unions. I think he's going to have success with this approach but only time will tell.

Cannon needs to recognise that agreements normally come about by proper discourse and not by trying to brow beat the serfs into submission.

And as part of a Government which steadfastly refuses to share the pain with the rest of us, hardly have the moral high ground,do they?

FFS they have only just ensured their stipend increases, via the assimilation of expenses into salary, and the planed 5% contribution to pensions is an insult to any semi intelligent person.

MHK's and MLC's need to take a swift reality check and prove to the rest of us that we really are "All in this Together" instead of attempting to set themselves up as some sort of protected species.

Archived