Self Appointed Crazy-Haired Bossy Bat Has A Go At Chairman Of Whitley Council For Doing His Job Properly

oldmanxfella

I am long enough in the tooth to remember the soup kitchens in Myrtle street and Tynwald street, and indeed had cause during my life to require to avail myself of the service, I do not want to see my children having to do the same.

Really? I can't find references to soup kitchens post-war, so you must be the forums' oldest member?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am long enough in the tooth to remember the soup kitchens in Myrtle street and Tynwald street, and indeed had cause during my life to require to avail myself of the service, I do not want to see my children having to do the same.

Really? I can't find references to soup kitchens post-war, so you must be the forums' oldest member?

Your swiss search engines are not very good then GD4DELI it was in what is now I believe Gerry Carters office.and also the old labour exchange which is now the soon to be closed (insanity) childrens library

Your swiss search engines are not very good then GD4DELI it was in what is now I believe Gerry Carters office.and also the old labour exchange which is now the soon to be closed (insanity) childrens library

You said you remembered the soup kitchens, were they actually running or just the old buildings?

You said you remembered the soup kitchens, were they actually running or just the old buildings?

Up and running and free dinners for not so lucky residents, and there were quite a few then.

Up and running and free dinners for not so lucky residents, and there were quite a few then.

OK, when was that? I couldn't references to them being in operation post-war. I know about the Salvation Army.

I think that his tactics are less than optimal and will not result in the best deal for Government

I'm sure Alf has worked out how good the union leaders are and is playing his game accordingly.

In fact I think that this is the problem. He hasn't worked this out at all.

I have, many years ago, as a union taking advantage of the services of the skilled negotiators within a union, and was very impressed.

Anyone who has used the recruitment consultancies in the Isle of Man will be aware of the skillsets that are needed for this role, and therefore their transferability into collective bargaining situations.

Its a shame that tough people like Alf have not been on Whitley Council for decades instead of a bunch of straw men bending over to every whim put forward by the union and its membership over the years.

Dudley Butt was far nicer to the unions. We need a nice guy for these situations. Dudley even did a good look at the hospital management structure and concluded there were not too many managers.

It's time we had nicer people in charge of our money and that.

Its a shame that tough people like Alf have not been on Whitley Council for decades instead of a bunch of straw men bending over to every whim put forward by the union and its membership over the years.

Dudley Butt was far nicer to the unions. We need a nice guy for these situations. Dudley even did a good look at the hospital management structure and concluded there were not too many managers.

Yeah he's an expert in that sort of thing with all those years spent in health services management.

Er...

It's time we had nicer people in charge of our money and that.

I don't think we need nice, or nasty people in charge.

We need effective, experienced, competent, honest people.

There is an incredible irony of a minister on a final salary scheme, stating that the gravy train is over on the radio.

How is this conclusive to good relations and effective negotiation?

They are debating their own remuneration http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/politicians-to-pay-towards-pensions-1-4322659

How can any MHK talk about gravy trains when they are party to this charade.

Its enough to make me sick, on a bus.

There will be pay deals done over the next few weeks and Alfie will have more than egg on his face when they get released to the media. There is money available for pay increases because there is plenty of money available to prop up the private sector particularly the construction industry. The cost of employing a builder/joiner has steadily increased, although the troops doing the work may not have had a pay rise the greedy twats sat on the top of the tree have still been doing well out of the government.

The government isn't great at counting, they said this week it costs 39K a year to provide residential care to the elderly and only 7K to provide homecare, what they failed to say was 39K gets you 24/7 365 days a year, 7K gets you 45mins a day not all year round either. If you do the figures even to provide 7 hours a day of homecare would cost much more than having someone in a care home if there was space available. I thought Chris Corlett could count but obviously having an O-Level in maths is no longer needed to be a chief executive.

DSC hasn't got the best staff at the top in all honesty, they could do better Tug, if you think back to the DHSS DK couldn't cope so he made himself a little deputy chief executive in the shape of LK who he subsequently took with him to Health. We now have a wanna be Chief Secretary in the shape of CC who has not got a clue about the sums involved in running community care that is fit for purpose. His dept were told back in 2008 what they needed to do before deciding to close care homes, they had to do their sums and report back to Tynwald, but the sums must be multiplication......far too hard so they haven't been arsed to do them.

It's easy to be uncompromising, but the people who get the deals done do have the ability to compromise. It remains to be seen whether Alf is all bluster
How do you compromise when the Govt's position is there is no money for pay increase and we need to cut the wage bill and the other sides position is we want more. I have £1 and I offer to buy something from you for that £1. You want £1.20. How do I compromise if I only have £1? I can not offer to give you £1.05 as i do not have the extra 5p. That appears to be the present problem. The Govt are prepared to discuss how they pay the £1 and to who but AM wants £1.20 or will compromise on a bit less say £1.10. Unfortunatly the Govt do not have that extra 10p

I think what Teare said was that there was NO additional money for pay rises and if I read the paper correctly Cannan was calling for pay restraint on the basis that any pay rises would have to be found from within existing budgets and therefore could place additional pressure on jobs.

So, your example might be AM and EH get paid £1 each. There is only £2 available to pay them. AM demands a pay rise of 20p and goes to Arbitration and is successful and gets £1.20. EH then gets told he has to accept a pay cut to 80p or lose his job.

So, if your EH......do you support AM in her call for a pay award or AC in his call for pay restraint ??

It is important to recognise that Unions can always go to Arbitration to get pay setllements........Ridiculous as it is.

Ah but you're ignoring the fact that AC & his cronies along with many senior civil servants are already getting paid £5 & more whilst holding EH & AM to ranson over 20p.

For years annual increments also known as cost of living rises have been paid as percentages. Why does it cost someone earning £100K a year £900 more than someone getting paid £10K just to keep up with the cost of living ?(if both are awarded a 1% increment)

The answer is it doesn't, & that in part is why there are no 20p's for anybody anymore. All in it together my arse.

Archived