Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

11 minutes ago, asitis said:

Arrived for boat at 0730 still on quayside, repairs continuing ! a fiasco !

According to the website the Ben status is:

"The vessel is currently loading and will depart shortly."

‘Unprecedented’ is the word according to the CEO Mark Woodward of IOMSPCO, in regards to the engine problems.

As the Ben is getting older and more problems are going to occur. These can happen at any time - FOM/MGP, Christmas etc. You don’t know what’s going to happen next? 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ben-my-chree-problem-unprecedented/

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

‘Unprecedented’ is the word according to the CEO Mark Woodward of IOMSPCO, in regards to the engine problems.

As the Ben is getting older and more problems are going to occur. These can happen at any time - FOM/MGP, Christmas etc. You don’t know what’s going to happen next? 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ben-my-chree-problem-unprecedented/

The only thing unprecedented, is the amount of champagne being drunk at investment managers in Portugal !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

If the ben were my car after this many years of use i'd just be hoping someone would be stupid enough to come along and buy it off me. I'd be dreaming of course. Things like that don't really happen in the real world in which i happen to inhabit

And buy it off you for an inordinate amount of money? Plus compensate you for all the joy you wouldn't get from it after you sold it?

You're right. Doesn't happen in the real world.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

That's an interesting statement about "the engine room is continuously manned". I could have sworn I heard Rear Admiral Woodward say the engine room is not usually manned when he was on MR earlier today.  

26 minutes ago, madmanx90 said:

Well The Ben isn't in good health at all currently stuck on the dam thing with engine failure just outside heysham port having waited three hours on the dock for it to leave this morning. 

It’s still stuck outside on the approach to the port. Oh dear! A nice problem for Harmer and his flunkies to solve. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's an interesting statement about "the engine room is continuously manned". I could have sworn I heard Rear Admiral Woodward say the engine room is not usually manned when he was on MR earlier today.  

I didn't hear that interview, but whilst they look contradictory, they may not be ....

'Unmanned machinery space (UMS)' notation on a vessel means that, either on a very small vessel, or on a deep-sea vessel, there is sufficient automation and alarms for engineers to only be on call. Manned means there are engineer(s) on duty in the machinery spaces; this usually means being based in the Engine Control Room (or ECR) usually situated alongside the actual engine room, but sound and heat-proofed),  and then periodically an engineer/oiler etc. takes a round to the actual engine room, generator rooms, purifiers etc. etc. to check for leaks or anything else untoward.  UMS vessels would normally man the ECR for sailing and arrival, then revert to UMS when clear of land.

So, Braemar used 'Manned' in the normal sense which is understood by the shipping community; whereas it sounds as if the interview was referring to there being no-one in the actual engine room at the time of the incident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Oh dear! A nice problem for Harmer and his flunkies to solve. 

Hopefully they will see there is an advantage to having two interchangeable multi purpose vessels in the fleet going forward rather than the obsession with fastcraft and have some back up plan in place

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1