Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

why.....

didn't the dublin boat only have 4 passengers on recently......

And that's probably because folks know they can't be relied on..... any time there's a problem with a vessel the first routes to get the chop is Dublin &/or Belfast. I recall a time, not so long ago, when both the Republic & NI visitors almost out-numbered other UK visitors.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I recall a time, not so long ago, when both the Republic & NI visitors almost out-numbered other UK visitors.

That was largely back when the Republic was a grim theocracy and the North was a heavily fortified military zone with simmering (or sometimes boiling) inter-community conflict. Now they're both nice places to be, with good food and even the beginnings of half-decent beer. Less reason for the natives to need to escape. 

1 minute ago, Yibble said:

That was largely back when the Republic was a grim theocracy and the North was a heavily fortified military zone with simmering (or sometimes boiling) inter-community conflict. Now they're both nice places to be, with good food and even the beginnings of half-decent beer. Less reason for the natives to need to escape. 

There was never a time when Irish tourists made up a significant proportion of the tourist trade. There may have been the odd week when there were a lot over from the North, or Dublin ( July 12th week, or October Bank Holiday) but even in the days of 8 boats that meant 12 sailings a week to/from Ireland and 80 or more to/from Ardrossan, Fleetwood, Heysham, Liverpool, Llandudno.

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There was never a time when Irish tourists made up a significant proportion of the tourist trade. There may have been the odd week when there were a lot over from the North, or Dublin ( July 12th week, or October Bank Holiday) but even in the days of 8 boats that meant 12 sailings a week to/from Ireland and 80 or more to/from Ardrossan, Fleetwood, Heysham, Liverpool, Llandudno.

I think it may have been less than that John? I recall a return Belfast sailing on Tuesday and again Friday with similar for Dublin when I was butcher boy at Costain's, who had the SPCo meat contract in the '60s. 

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think it may have been less than that John? I recall a return Belfast sailing on Tuesday and again Friday with similar for Dublin when I was butcher boy at Costain's, who had the SPCo meat contract in the '60s. 

I was referring to the week of 12/7. There were always extra sailings, also Irish August Bank Holiday weekend ( first Monday August).

Ive got family in Dublin, I used to go over a lot. Even when all we had were the 4 side loaders there were a couple weeks a year with up to 6 return trips, ie 12 sailings.

When I first qualified I had a pass, could travel any route for the departure tax. Holidays and weekends I often got up early and did a day return to somewhere.

• Like 1

As an aside. Anyone on twitter go to BBC Archive and date 24th July. Wonderful film of three old biddies doing the Llandudno iom ferry service.

I’d embed but no idea how or this forum ain’t the easiest to attach links. 

22 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Good Friday was always popular. Until this year Ireland was dry unless you were a hotel resident, in a railway station or on a boat.

A day return to the IOM would give a solid day drinking!

When did Good Friday cease being dry here?

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

When did Good Friday cease being dry here?

Don't know, but its a good question. Kind of wish you hasn't asked it though cos I've ended up down the hole of the manx notebook. I love that thing, but I don't get anything done when I start reading stuff on it. Like this

Except for a few scattered notices in the Church Registers, there is no mention of lunatics in the island till towards the end of this period. But then, through the medium of the Press, we learn that there were poor creatures who were either tied to stakes in outhouses or stables, being fed on garbage and clad in rags, or who wandered about absolutely uncared for.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/hist1900/ch42_1.htm

• Like 1

14 hours ago, quilp said:

I get stuck in that from time to time. The paragraph about 'drink' shows nothing has changed. Excellent site... 

I seem to recall Sunday opening hours being something like 7:30 to 9:45 or some such nonsense.

Why is it the bar on the boat can't open until clearing the 12 mile limit?

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Because 4 to 5 hours at the bar for some people led to a lot of bother.

...does it apply to Cruise ships? 

Edited by Albert Tatlock

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I seem to recall Sunday opening hours being something like 7:30 to 9:45 or some such nonsense.

There was a problem in getting a Designated Official