Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

3 hours ago, Len Trench said:

Thanks 2112. Big of the gov to admit it’s silted up another harbour lol.

BD4FCE1B-A2EB-4933-91A7-362968BF8A9F.jpeg

I have the distinct feeling that ‘sarcasm’ like this which is true, but otherwise would be masked up by alternative bullshit, will be common in the run up to Mark Woodward retirement. Reschedule? It is good though a journey from Heysham is being made so at least some food hits the islands shelves. 

The silting up of the harbour is another example of the Department of Incompetences endless list of systemic failures. Led by an incompetent political member, an incompetent Chief Executive and a Part Time Director of Ports. If we can’t maintain a simple harbour facility to keep the ‘islands lifeline’ operational, then what’s to say EXAMPLE- silting of the harbour next TT thus preventing either sailings or departure of the Ben or the Arrow? Surely in this type of scenario? Heads would roll? Or Lessons will be learned?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 3

It's hard to believe that they've only just twigged this silt situation now on the onset of the low tides (which are created by the moon's cycle, which is calculated for months in advance). The harbour itself must be surveyed regularly as part of the shipping lifeline?

Maybe they had all their silt attention focused on Peel Marina.

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

No river flow because of stupid flap gate and selling the dredger. You couldn't make it up.

It becomes a matter of national importance if the Ben or Arrow can’t sail as a result of a silted harbour. Politicos need to ask questions immediately, or heads should roll.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It becomes a matter of national importance if the Ben or Arrow can’t sail as a result of a silted harbour. Politicos need to ask questions immediately, or heads should roll.

I'm more worried about the silted minds running this show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It should never have happened in the first place, the govt. were told and told what would happen with a flap gate.

They also seem to have forgotten the two incidents of debris causing damage to the flap gate and the boats, if I re-call correctly the harbour master's boat was one of the sunken vessels but hey, it's only money and the keel boats are happy.

No one ever mentions the on- going maintenance costs of the gate and the silt trap and regular replacement of the operating mechanism.

44 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

It should never have happened in the first place, the govt. were told and told what would happen with a flap gate.

They also seem to have forgotten the two incidents of debris causing damage to the flap gate and the boats, if I re-call correctly the harbour master's boat was one of the sunken vessels but hey, it's only money and the keel boats are happy.

No one ever mentions the on- going maintenance costs of the gate and the silt trap and regular replacement of the operating mechanism.

No need to panic doc - lessons will be learned. 🤔

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I seem to remember years ago seeing the dredger in there . But hey we didnt need it anymore did we so got rid .

So I am led to believe our stupid Government sold it ‘cheap as chips’, others had use of it and again made money. HRH The Chief Minister and Tim Baker Minister for Incompetence - the 21 century version of Laurel and Hardy. I’m sure Beamans the IOMG beloved management gurus will love this episode. Perhaps it’s review will lead to Timba spending lots of time in his constituency on a reduced salary. 

Edited by 2112

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I seem to remember years ago seeing the dredger in there . But hey we didnt need it anymore did we so got rid .

I've been resident on the Island for nearly 40 years and I don't ever recall a boat cancellation due to silting up over that period of time. Heysham yes but not Douglas.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

"Savings", initiated during the Gawne DOI years following the VAT cut IIRC?

Didn’t take long for the pathetic weasel words from the Incompetent Department of Incompetence, blaming debris in the harbour which normally gets moved by the movement of commercial boats. Excuses Excuses Excuses. Time for Reynoldsway to go, and a widespread cull of the deadwood at Incompetent Department, without replacements. 

SPCO 2 IOMG 0

• Like 3