Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

11 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Fancy the Guinness being off now that is unforgivable  🤣.

Not very organised. Organisation isn’t something that IOMSPC are known for. No doubt the Mythbusters will be on to rebut your comment. 

There was a Facebook comment this morning that the Manxmans propulsion system experienced ‘technical’ issues not long after leaving Douglas. Perhaps it should have returned to port straight away?

Edited by 2112
  • Confused 1

word is the problem with Manxman could be quite serious and the sea cat is likely to do the Heysham sailings tomorrow  just as well the decision makers didn't get rid of the Ben , or put her on long term charter ,  never in all my life have I seen such as shit show for getting on and Off this island  both by sea and by air , 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Omobono said:

word is the problem with Manxman could be quite serious and the sea cat is likely to do the Heysham sailings tomorrow  just as well the decision makers didn't get rid of the Ben , or put her on long term charter ,  never in all my life have I seen such as shit show for getting on and Off this island  both by sea and by air , 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-hopes-manxman-will-resume-service-imminently/?fbclid=IwAR08GLAxfgVil_m-0xXIyCFer0Lxz_EamzWi3B-v8UosXyPWV1hJ2MuFqXw

19 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Ahhh now we know. It was a switch it off, pull the plug out, plug it back in again and switch it on again moment. Works every time for me.. well, almost! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buying the flumes

from Turkey should have put them off going too far afield to purchase stuff I have heard that South Korea has a good reputation for boat building but if things go wrong it is more complicated to get satisfaction.    Are there no ship builders any nearer that could have done the job ?    I believe it was a miss measurement that caused the problems with the flumes but that was a real work up.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ahhh now we know. It was a switch it off, pull the plug out, plug it back in again and switch it on again moment. Works every time for me.. well, almost! 

That's probably why all the lights came on lighting up Amadeus' living room.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Buying the flumes

from Turkey should have put them off going too far afield to purchase stuff I have heard that South Korea has a good reputation for boat building but if things go wrong it is more complicated to get satisfaction.    Are there no ship builders any nearer that could have done the job ?    I believe it was a miss measurement that caused the problems with the flumes but that was a real work up.

The manufacturer of the main power source is Wartsila, designed and engineered in Finland (for the most part): https://www.wartsila.com/marine I imagine Wartsila will have engineers on hand in UK in the event of something really serious happening. Wouldn't be surprised if Wartsila didn't have direct access to the vessel's engine management system/consol via satellite connection for diagnosing problems.

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Wartsila didn't have direct access to the vessel's engine management system/consol via satellite connection for diagnosing problems.

Bloody hell, Andy. Do you realise what you are saying? That terrorists could hack into the network and take over control of the ship. Pay us a million or we will divert the ship to St Tropez.

Well, they could if the engine wasn't broken.

[No doubt you have seen the Hollywood films where the starlet is sitting at a keyboard, banging away at the keys, creating code that will save the universe - then a hacker gets into the network and the monitor bursts into real, genuine, flames. Happens all the time. I used to know programmers who would keep a fire extinguisher near their desk in case a Hollywood starlet passed by.]

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Bloody hell, Andy. Do you realise what you are saying? That terrorists could hack into the network and take over control of the ship. Pay us a million or we will divert the ship to St Tropez.

Well, they could if the engine wasn't broken.

[No doubt you have seen the Hollywood films where the starlet is sitting at a keyboard, banging away at the keys, creating code that will save the universe - then a hacker gets into the network and the monitor bursts into real, genuine, flames. Happens all the time. I used to know programmers who would keep a fire extinguisher near their desk in case a Hollywood starlet passed by.]

I'm sure the officers and crew would love to go to St Tropez. "Bring it on", I hear them cry!