Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

14 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I don't think it's anything unusual having been on similar ships (similar in tonnage and windage). When turning, they'll lean over, which is basic physics. In a side wind, they'll lean - accentuated by the action of the waves too.

They did say , 'all the way back', NOT just when turning . Just as I said.

I'm not saying it's true, it's just their perception but I repeat, has anyone had this experience?

I was on the Manxman a few weeks ago. It's an odd design, and having the nice seats with no cafe or bar service on the same deck creates issues in heavier weather. There were fittings in the toilets which were like cheap end Internet stuff which won't last. Seat coverings and foldout tables will age quickly and break easily. Paid for lounges appeared empty

Really slow loading and unloading. On the plus side it was much less claustrophobic than the Ben. I hope they get the snags fixed and it can start paying its way

On 10/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Frances said:

unlike the other two boats there are no private toilets within easy reach in the exec club lounge

There are toilets right by the door to the Exec Club, shared with and just round from the premium lounge. They’re “private” enough as you can only get into that part of the boat if you have a cabin or lounge access, as the doors are on swipe card access.

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It's an odd design, and having the nice seats with no cafe or bar service on the same deck creates issues in heavier weather

The premium and executive lounges have their own bars.

The reserved lounge doesn’t IIRC, but then it doesn’t on the Manannan either.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:54 PM, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I don't think it's anything unusual having been on similar ships (similar in tonnage and windage). When turning, they'll lean over, which is basic physics. In a side wind, they'll lean - accentuated by the action of the waves too.

No doubt the vessel will veer off the autopilot track and the rudder will kick in to bring it back onto position. You can feel it when the Ben does that.

We're off on th MXM on Thursday and looking forward to having a nosey around.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

No doubt the vessel will veer off the autopilot track and the rudder will kick in to bring it back onto position. You can feel it when the Ben does that.

We're off on th MXM on Thursday and looking forward to having a nosey around.

Let us know what you think.  The reports are varied. 😊 

things i liked about the Manxman

• spacious lounges
  • loads of windows and outside standing areas
  • large cafe area (downside - miles away from Ingebreck lounge so food is cold by the time you get back)
  • Much smoother journey ( ie cant feel any rocking about ) 
  • less claustrophobic ( and lots of seating spaces)
  • multiple lounges for people and i think the Injebreck is designed for night sailings. 

Not so keen on:

• very slow loading on and off
  • fire doors with no signs on telling people to push the button ( yes i am one of those who clearly wak around with my eyes closed)
  • Felt a bit overwhelming at times and i question whether it is too big. I cant see it ever being at capacity other than at TT and possibly christmas time.
  • Quite a trek when buying hot food from the restaurant to get back to the lounges.
  • injebreck is cold which is not ideal given i think it has been designed for night sailings.
  • lounges are expensive ( and cabins) although there is free tea/coffee and biscuits as part of the price
  • poor signage and internal doors that were locked which created a problem of getting to injebreck lounge ( other passengers had to open the door on the opposite side).
  • a keycard is needed to get inside injebreck lounge - there was meant to be a member of staff there except there wasnt so stood around waiting to get inside. 

Just watching the Stena steaming along happily. Must be using a different part of the Irish Sea. 
there seems to be this latent effort to actually not sail when it blows a bit and we have accepted this as a norm.
And while I’m on that Lars bellend, why are his words so patronising when he makes a statement, the one the other week telling us there’s no mechanics in the middle of the sea  oh do fuck off  

The IoM Steam Pathetic Company. 

7 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Just watching the Stena steaming along happily. Must be using a different part of the Irish Sea. 
there seems to be this latent effort to actually not sail when it blows a bit and we have accepted this as a norm.
And while I’m on that Lars bellend, why are his words so patronising when he makes a statement, the one the other week telling us there’s no mechanics in the middle of the sea  oh do fuck off  

The IoM Steam Pathetic Company. 

They are using a different part of the Irish Sea, you're correct. The bit they're using the wind happens to be significantly less strong (F4 vs. 6 to 8). Their ships are also significantly larger than the Manxman and Ben too, and the harbours they use are not as difficult to negotiate in wind - all of which has been explained many times.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Not really. New ship.  
so the same sea less than a few miles apart is like flat as a pancake whilst the bit wE uSe Is VeRy LuMpY

Yes. Just look at weather charts, quite simple. And it's not less than a few miles, it's 40 - 60+ miles away. Holyhead is sheltered from an E wind (which is only F5) and Dublin is further S and only just F4.

Screenshot_20231018-184055_MarineTraffic.jpg