Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

10 minutes ago, NoTail said:

He mentioned some sort of cockup but did not elaborate. Yes we just sat loaded for a few hours.

I’m sure the cock up will soon come out into the open …………. at some point. Like the cock up with the Ben on its way to Ben, was certainly covered up for a couple of weeks. 

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Maintenance (at times) isnt exactly a strong point. 

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Maintenance (at times) isnt exactly a strong point. 

Surely there must be regulations regards harbour maintenance whether privately owned or not, this problem (silt) appears to be a regular feature at Heysham port if it hinders schedules on a regular basis maybe the CM and his minnions can get their arse into gear and get those responsible to carry out maintenance as required. 

If they loaded the passengers then sat in port for hours then how did they load the freight - Manx Radio is carrying the story that the problem was due to insufficient port staff (presumably freight tugs + drivers to load the trailers) as freight is normally loaded first - the departure abt 7am would I think be near high water - possibly due to the suddenly found silt the channel over the sandbank outside the harbour isn't deep enough for the boat - anyway it will demonstrate what the boat is like in poorer weather than it has sailed so far.

Maintenance costs money - not something Peel Ports willingly expend - catch is Liverpool is also a Peel Port and though spending almost the same amount as the boat cost on the new facility there it cannot handle freight. Edited by Frances

32 minutes ago, Frances said:

Maintenance costs money - not something Peel Ports willingly expend - catch is Liverpool is also a Peel Port and though spending almost the same amount as the boat cost on the new facility there it cannot handle freight.

They'll be quick enough to do Liverpool. They know they can raise a huge invoice for IoMG or the Steamie.

She’s certainly not got of to a good start.

I wonder what some of the old captains think of her of the record, also is this the real reason they want crews to live aboard is because they feel the boat isn’t suitable and is going to be constantly delayed to silt, windage, movability,berthing problems and more longer crossings these questions the arms length board should really answer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I wonder what some of the old captains think of her of the record, also is this the real reason they want crews to live aboard is because they feel the boat isn’t suitable and is going to be constantly delayed to silt, windage, movability,berthing problems and more longer crossings these questions the arms length board should really answer. 

they're just teething troubles.

5 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

they're just teething troubles.

All of what is described is part and parcel of life on all ferries traversing the seas around the British Isles. 

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Six and a half hours - the horror! 

Aside: After WW1 it took three months for some New Zealand troops to sail home from Lancashire, one of whom took a Lancashire lass with him, hence my relatives down there.

Just had word from the captain.  A new delay because water got into the bow thrusters or something like that. 

This is a boat in water so I would expect water to get into things. ....

Should dock around 11.45. We arrived at Heysham at 1.30 this morning. 

54 minutes ago, cissolt said:

What are you basing that on?

The met office data disagrees with you.

Screenshot_2023-11-23-11-22-32-69_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

That's mean (average) wind speed. With climate change we'll get more extremes, saw that in the Alps, seeing that this year. Anyway, no-one knows what will happen, we should just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

51 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

I saw someone tag someone on FB who was on it writing -  "Hope you are ok"...

Jesus christ. What does she actually think has happened other than the boat taking longer than it should have taken.

What about food supplies? ~50+ years ago I was on a boat at Pier Head, we couldn't leave for 12 hours for some reason, fortunately it was low season and there was plenty of food.