Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Oh Jeeze, that's completely unnecessary Captain, are you really a Captain, still in the Army? If not, you shouldn't be using the military rank/ title, when communicating  with us on MF your previous rank is of no importance to us.

You're MR Wain..... stick to your position in society, same as the rest of us!!!

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Tide will be half an hour different. That can be quite significant. Have you the wind data specific to Heysham?

Are you suggesting that Happy Diner should be determining the sailing times?

I would have thought that we could rely on the SP and it's captains  to give us the best service that there could be!!!

31 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Brian Thomson says he doesn't think the action will impact passengers too much:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-md-hugely-disappointed-by-industrial-action/

Conversely, I say fire and potentially not being able to rehire would impact the passengers hugely.  

Why do you think there would be an issue in rehiring new officers?

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

rehiring new officers?

If they are rehired they aren’t new, they’re existing. If the existing are not willing to be rehired then they’ll be new. And they’ll all have to be trained, familiarised, get their pilotage licences for the ports, etc. 

Its taken the existing crews since July to do that, and they still haven’t got there in some respects.

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Manxman departed at 8.30. What's the odds she'll fail to dock at Heysham and come back.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and all will go to plan.

They don’t normally go out if there’s a doubt about getting into heysham so I think it’s going to be ok.

I know of several people trying to cancel or reorganize threatened sailings but can’t get through on phone, they’re booking flights from various airports which are now costing a fortune!!

1 hour ago, newaccount said:

Conversely, I say fire and potentially not being able to rehire would impact the passengers hugely.  

They will already have a back up of Filipino or Indian Officers and crew to fill the places of any that don’t want to be re-hired so the disruption will probably be minimum. If you don’t want to be re-hired they’ll have some Indian who wants to do it for 30% less than you anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Manxman departed at 8.30. What's the odds she'll fail to dock at Heysham and come back.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and all will go to plan.

I for one bloody well hope you're wrong!

My daughter and her family are on the boat this morning. They were originally going on Saturday, but with the forecast they changed their tickets. All the kids' presents are already across at the in-laws' house so it would have been a nightmare if Saturday's sailing ended up being cancelled. 

Luckily both employers were understanding, although they'll lose out a bit on pay. I'm just hoping the strike action - or more bad weather - doesn't delay their return. They're sailing a bit close to the wind as it is where losing pay is concerned. 

I feel for all the folks for whom Christmas with family across is being disrupted due to not being able to change their sailing.

You can never be sure of a sailing this time of year - maybe we should have Christmas in July instead. 😂 

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I see Manannan's out of the dry dock and tied up at the Cammell Laird fabrication shop in B'head. 

think you mean the Ben - the dry dock was possibly to fix the bump it got (so far unexplained) but there was a brief mention that it too would have 2 crews on board thus suspect more staff cabins?

13 minutes ago, Frances said:

think you mean the Ben - the dry dock was possibly to fix the bump it got (so far unexplained) but there was a brief mention that it too would have 2 crews on board thus suspect more staff cabins?

The Ben is still in dry dock. The Manannan isn't:

Screenshot 2023-12-20 09.48.20.png

Screenshot 2023-12-20 09.50.38.png

Edited by Andy Onchan