Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

They don’t normally go out if there’s a doubt about getting into heysham so I think it’s going to be ok.

I know of several people trying to cancel or reorganize threatened sailings but can’t get through on phone, they’re booking flights from various airports which are now costing a fortune!!

Can't they change it online ?

The Steam Packet's demand that the crew ‘live on board’ is becoming a humiliating debacle. Yes, the SPC needs to make a profit, but the SPC is a wholly own subsidiary of the IOMG and it needs to behave ethically (its behaviour also affects the Island’s broader reputation). While the SPC is behaving like a bully towards its employees, the IOMG is avoiding its responsibilities by hiding behind claims of ‘arms-length operations’ and ‘commercial confidentiality’.

Like it or lump it, the behaviour of the SPC’s Management exemplifies the importance of why everyday workers in every organisation need a unionised workforce.

Incidentally, the Chief Minister is on record assuring people that there will be no need for another new loan to the Steam Packet to enable it to purchase a replacement boat when Manannan gets ‘decommissioned’ in 2026. This assurance is not a guarantee or a binding commitment. Perhaps he expects that if the SPC does not have sufficient funds at the time, it will be able to borrow from its banks?

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

maybe they have fixed the failed engine that slowed Manannan for the tail end of the season, but unlikely to be of much use during the winter except as a floating restaurant if berthed at Douglas - getting the Ben back would give more flexibility.

There will be plenty of days in a winter when the Manannan can sail, whether they have the crew for it though is another matter.

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

They don’t normally go out if there’s a doubt about getting into heysham so I think it’s going to be ok.

I know of several people trying to cancel or reorganize threatened sailings but can’t get through on phone, they’re booking flights from various airports which are now costing a fortune!!

They did a few weeks ago didn't they?

1 minute ago, code99 said:

The Steam Packet's demand that the crew ‘live on board’ is becoming a humiliating debacle. Yes, the SPC needs to make a profit, but the SPC is a wholly own subsidiary of the IOMG and it needs to behave ethically (its behaviour also affects the Island’s broader reputation). While the SPC is behaving like a bully towards its employees, the IOMG is avoiding its responsibilities by hiding behind claims of ‘arms-length operations’ and ‘commercial confidentiality’.

Like it or lump it, the behaviour of the SPC’s Management exemplifies the importance of why everyday workers in every organisation need a unionised workforce.

Incidentally, the Chief Minister is on record assuring people that there will be no need for another new loan to the Steam Packet to enable it to purchase a replacement boat when Manannan gets ‘decommissioned’ in 2026. This assurance is not a guarantee or a binding commitment. Perhaps he expects that if the SPC does not have sufficient funds at the time, it will be able to borrow from its banks?

Isn't it the other way around, ie, the directors of IOMSPCo have said they don't need a loan? Maybe I have misunderstood.

I was talking to a man yesterday who has, shall we say, regular freight business with the Steamie.

He reckoned that Manxman's Masters, to a man, describe the ship as a, "C*nt of a Thing" in respect of windage and manouvering, with Heysham and its natural obstacles being particularly challenging.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Isn't it the other way around, ie, the directors of IOMSPCo have said they don't need a loan? Maybe I have misunderstood.

Right now, the SPC Board will only have a vague idea of how much money the company will have in 2026. Therefore, they will not be able to guarantee anything until a couple of years from now.

On 17 December the Chief Minister was interviewed on Manx Radio. In that interview he said that “the Government is not expecting another loan request from the Steam Packet for the next vessel it buys”.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/loan-request-for-next-steam-packet-vessel-not-expected/

19 minutes ago, code99 said:

Happens everywhere else including mezeron apparently and majority of staff have accepted so a few officers over here are trying it on for more money 

They may find alternative cheaper foreign crews to man the vessel but what if they were to put up a picket line stopping anything coming ashore from Douglas the threat of that might wake up the Thomson fella, he needs binning he’s got a touch of tunnel vision arrogance like Alf.
Why not offer enhanced pay for those that are willing to live aboard , give those local crew that don’t want to grandfather rights to remain as was with all new starting  crew in future having to live aboard. How many times has the vessels never sailed due to crew not turning up never I’d guess. As I said when she arrived she’s got to much windage for the shallow narrow ports she operates in making her extremely difficult to control even with all those thrusters, just look anytime she’s stopped sailing on marine traffic all the Stena boats still sail.  It’s all a mess.

48 minutes ago, Frances said:

maybe they have fixed the failed engine that slowed Manannan for the tail end of the season, but unlikely to be of much use during the winter except as a floating restaurant if berthed at Douglas - getting the Ben back would give more flexibility.

That would be admitting that mistakes were made ……….. lessons will be learned.

35 minutes ago, Banker said:

Happens everywhere else including mezeron apparently and majority of staff have accepted so a few officers over here are trying it on for more money 

In March 2022 P&O fired 800 shipping staff. Their Executive Directors were publicly grilled by a House of Commons Select Committee. The P&O Chairman/ MD admitted they had broken the law. Since then, the employment laws in the UK were modified by the Tories (even though many of whom would love to drag the UK back into Dickensian times) in order to avert similar situations occurring. Whether it is legal to do the same thing here i.e., deliberately decreasing the working conditions for employees, is not something this Island should be proud of, IMHO.

38 minutes ago, code99 said:

Right now, the SPC Board will only have a vague idea of how much money the company will have in 2026. Therefore, they will not be able to guarantee anything until a couple of years from now.

On 17 December the Chief Minister was interviewed on Manx Radio. In that interview he said that “the Government is not expecting another loan request from the Steam Packet for the next vessel it buys”.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/loan-request-for-next-steam-packet-vessel-not-expected/

Of course there's no guarantees but I wouldn't be surprised if IOMSPCo have a rolling operating and capital budgets drawn up for 5 years hence, based on current market conditions and is reviewed at least monthly. If I were the Chairman and/or CEO that's what I would expect to see.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Of course there's no guarantees but I wouldn't be surprised if IOMSPCo have a rolling operating and capital budgets drawn up for 5 years hence, based on current market conditions and is reviewed at least monthly. If I were the Chairman and/or CEO that's what I would expect to see.

I hope you're right. Time will tell.

Paraphrasing Mike Tyson’s immortal words – “Everyone has a forecast until reality punches them in the face.” 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

There will be plenty of days in a winter when the Manannan can sail, whether they have the crew for it though is another matter.

but not enough to consider a regular timetabled operation - if it replaces the boat on the Heysham route then it needs special arrangements at Heysham to load passengers;