Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

one thing about it   its having a serious effect on the Island ,  Marks and Spencer devoid of food to sell again today   it must be costing them  hundreds of thousands in lost sales  this holiday period ,  this and many other locally based businesses rely on the steam packet to deliver on an almost daily basis ,  we cant go on like this smaller businesses will be experiencing major supply difficulties , and I have almost  forgot what a daily newspaper looks like , 

Didn’t have an issue getting food in Tesco and robinsons 

25 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Some interesting language from SP 

'As a result of Nautilus’ ongoing ‘industrial action short of a strike,’ no fellow officers will swap shifts or cover the absence via paid overtime'

'The Company has therefore been forced to implement the following timetable'

So reduced sailings just as the better weather is due.  

33 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

How long do we have to let this nonsense go on before we can get rid for breach of contract and hire people who want to work for the good of the company and its customers?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

How long do we have to let this nonsense go on before we can get rid for breach of contract and hire people who want to work for the good of the company and its customers?

Breach of contract ? I always understood overtime to be optional and not mandatory . Unless the contract says different .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You are starting a bit too far down the ladder. Start at the top - the MHKs. If they are not working for the good of the electorate, there should be a recall mechanism which would enable the electorate to kick them into the far distance without waiting for the next election.

And maybe you could look at the contract. Both sides sined the contracts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You are starting a bit too far down the ladder. Start at the top - the MHKs. If they are not working for the good of the electorate, there should be a recall mechanism which would enable the electorate to kick them into the far distance without waiting for the next election.

And maybe you could look at the contract. Both sides sined the contracts.

So, the politicians are supposed to step in and override the Unions, the SPCo and the law? 

This has never worked anywhere else, what makes you think it will work here, and what does replacing the government with inexperienced politicians achieve? 

I think many people believe in fairy dust and unicorns and politicians should be providing them?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So, the politicians are supposed to step in and override the Unions, the SPCo and the law? 

I was responding to the comment "before we can get rid for breach of contract and hire people who want to work for the good of the company and its customers". I was suggesting that if the electorate could do that with the people at the top of the tree - the MHKs - then things would improve all the way down to the lower levels - and then maybe these problems would not occur.

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

and what does replacing the government with inexperienced politicians achieve? 

Well, the IoM is 80,000 people - a tiny place. Although there are people here who consider themselves to be international politicians, they are not. All that is required of local politicians (and they are all village politicians) is honesty, integrity and a large amount of common sense. Nothing more. Experience is irrelevant.

[And I am not too keen on the idea that it is necessary to pay MHKs a large amount of money. All you end up with is people who are only interested in the money - and the ego.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's not the bit that's causing the 'problems' though it it

I thought they had been using similar systems in ships and trains for many years where they are known as induction motors

But They don't normally have battery packs do they? i/c engines have been coupled to generators which have then driven the axle. eg Tilling Stevens buses which were excellent for tram or horse drivers transferring to the first i/c buses. No batteries of course. 

So, i/c-genny-motive power is not new, however, diesel engine-to propshaft on boats is still the norm and although the occasional i/c-genny-electric motor-propshaft with a hybrid type battery pack is newish technology and in my opinion fairly unsatisfactory except, maybe, for harbour tugs without the battery pack of course.

If one takes into account the 5 or more changes of energy which means 5 or more power losses then I doubt they are much more efficient or environmentally superior to the old system.

I'm quite sure that you will argue and of course you have your own point of view.

The biggest advance for electric motors was probably the brushless motor/ induction but it's really a red herring in this discussion.

I really want the Manxman to be a success but I really don't think it is.

• Thanks 1