Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

52 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But They don't normally have battery packs do they? i/c engines have been coupled to generators which have then driven the axle. eg Tilling Stevens buses which were excellent for tram or horse drivers transferring to the first i/c buses. No batteries of course. 

So, i/c-genny-motive power is not new, however, diesel engine-to propshaft on boats is still the norm and although the occasional i/c-genny-electric motor-propshaft with a hybrid type battery pack is newish technology and in my opinion fairly unsatisfactory except, maybe, for harbour tugs without the battery pack of course.

If one takes into account the 5 or more changes of energy which means 5 or more power losses then I doubt they are much more efficient or environmentally superior to the old system.

I'm quite sure that you will argue and of course you have your own point of view.

The biggest advance for electric motors was probably the brushless motor/ induction but it's really a red herring in this discussion.

I really want the Manxman to be a success but I really don't think it is.

I won't argue. Your points are good. However in terms of battery capacity it's mild hybrid at best and like I said, the drive train is not the perceived problem. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yeah, but we built a effing huge breakwater to resolve that.

It’s been interesting to read some of the FB comments about the boats used to go “every day”. But forgetting that in winter they only did 12 single crossings a week, using two boats. 09.00 out, 11.00 in.

Mx will do 14 singles. On her own, and potentially carry more people, cars, vans and freight per week  than Mona’s Queen, Lady and Peveril/conister combined.

Of course. Memories are short. The effing huge breakwater can't solve everything. There have been similar instances in recent years when the Ben couldn't dock in adverse winds.

The number of sailings is valid. Twice a day throughout the year only came with the combination of freight and passengers on the Ben. Prior to that, the King Orry did just one return a day. Manxman does 26 singles doesn't she?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, woolley said:

Of course. Memories are short

Yes.

33 minutes ago, woolley said:

Twice a day throughout the year only came with the combination of freight and passengers on the Ben

No. 

Manx Viking. So, ever since 1978.

I'm wondering what Tesco are thinking at this moment? The worrying thing for the SPCo is that they are a ruthless organisation with huge resources, and I'll bet that they are their biggest customer now. 

I can imagine the SS Tesco steaming in at some point for docking trials?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm wondering what Tesco are thinking at this moment? The worrying thing for the SPCo is that they are a ruthless organisation with huge resources, and I'll bet that they are their biggest customer now. 

Have you heard rumours? I heard something, it sounded plausible, if unrealistic. I can’t imagine that Tesco are happy with the current situation. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Have you heard rumours? I heard something, it sounded plausible, if unrealistic. I can’t imagine that Tesco are happy with the current situation. 

All discussed a few pages/weeks back.

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Didn’t have an issue getting food in Tesco and robinsons 

🤣 I was in both the Coop, and Robinsons yesterday - depleted stocks, especially fresh. Tinned and non perishable were in stock. Today both stores had even less, with large empty gaps on the shelves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One sailing a day would be plenty to service foot passengers it is freight and vehicle capacity that may struggle.    Tesco will surely inherit Shoprites storage units so perhaps there will be more forward buying from them.  M&S have a bigger problem perhaps they could invest in some units there are plenty for sale.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

No, but it's something that may make sense for them when you think of what it must cost to get trailers for ten stores here? 

This could make the SPCo go one of two ways, either reduce fares to attract business, or take the easy way out and raise prices even further?

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

All discussed a few pages/weeks back.

That's the trouble with these long threads, stuff gets buried amongst all the other speculation I guess?

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

One sailing a day would be plenty to service foot passengers it is freight and vehicle capacity that may struggle.    Tesco will surely inherit Shoprites storage units so perhaps there will be more forward buying from them.  M&S have a bigger problem perhaps they could invest in some units there are plenty for sale.

If M&S use Chester Street, as previously suggested, they could reinstate the warehouse and cold storage facilities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

🤣 I was in both the Coop, and Robinsons yesterday - depleted stocks, especially fresh. Tinned and non perishable were in stock. Today both stores had even less, with large empty gaps on the shelves. 

Wanted some Noas bread, fresh fish, potatoes, veg etc had plenty In Robinsons, only really get tinned stuff etc from Tesco 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

They have cause for concern. Three boats and no stock replenishment. What’s it going to be like when they have all stores up and running. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

They have cause for concern. Three boats and no stock replenishment. What’s it going to be like when they have all stores up and running. 

Hopefully it'll keep their own branded shite off of the shelves for a while longer!

• Like 1