Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm wondering what Tesco are thinking at this moment? The worrying thing for the SPCo is that they are a ruthless organisation with huge resources, and I'll bet that they are their biggest customer now. 

I can imagine the SS Tesco steaming in at some point for docking trials?

I can't.

Doesn't matter how ruthless an organisation or the level of its resources. If the wind is adverse at Douglas Harbour, SS Tesco ain't getting in any better than the SPCo. It's a remote island so fragmented communications in bad weather goes with the territory. I don't believe that this is as far up Tesco and M&S agendas as some posters think it is. There aren't so many occasions when the shelves are empty, and what a ball ache putting on a separate service. Besides, when the stuff finally gets here, people are still gonna buy it, so what have they lost?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

I presume you’re referring to the intransigent management?

get rid of locals on the boats and you are really storing up trouble for the future , there was a time  when apprentices were employed ,and a steady stream  of talented deck and engineer officers , stewards and catering staff had a career  ,kept the boats  going , are we going to abrogate the running of everything on this island   to someone else  ?  and in particular somewhere when eventually  we will have no loyalty   or control from the isle of man or its people 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I can't.

Doesn't matter how ruthless an organisation or the level of its resources. If the wind is adverse at Douglas Harbour, SS Tesco ain't getting in any better than the SPCo. It's a remote island so fragmented communications in bad weather goes with the territory. I don't believe that this is as far up Tesco and M&S agendas as some posters think it is. There aren't so many occasions when the shelves are empty, and what a ball ache putting on a separate service. Besides, when the stuff finally gets here, people are still gonna buy it, so what have they lost?

Tesco have just bought a lot of Shoprite supermarkets in order to make a lot of money. If there's nothing to sell on the shelves of those supermarkets Tesco have lost a great deal of money in sales that presumably was the reason behind their investment, even if it's a relatively short term situation. I certainly don't think they'll be overly impressed with the situation.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Been two sailings a day for as long as I can remember, which considerably pre-dates the King Orrible.

No boat before Ben was thrashed two return sailings, seven days a week, year round to my recollection. Guess I'll have to look for an old timetable from the 90s unless anyone has one to hand? I know for sure that the Peveril was doing freight runs regularly prior to the Ben, so why would you need 2 passenger returns a day in winter when hardly anyone travelled?

ETA: And when the Ben was introduced they were trumpeting all of these extra seats available on their twice daily service. I wish I still had the flyer.

Edited by woolley

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Tesco have just bought a lot of Shoprite supermarkets in order to make a lot of money. If there's nothing to sell on the shelves of those supermarkets Tesco have lost a great deal of money in sales that presumably was the reason behind their investment, even if it's a relatively short term situation. I certainly don't think they'll be overly impressed with the situation.

But it doesn't happen often in the grand scheme of things. They'll still sell the stuff when it gets here, and the silly buggers will be panic buying three times more than they need. Of course, I could be wrong, but it sounds like a typical product of the Manx rumour mill to me.

Edited by woolley

1 hour ago, finlo said:

You may think so but for the discerning shopper quality products are being replaced with cheapo Tesco shit.

Cobblers. I'm wondering which "quality products" in Shoprite are being replaced with "Tesco shit"? You can still buy branded stuff in Tesco, and cheaper than it was in Shoprite.

Edited by woolley

Found out today that you can check the in store stock at the main Tesco in Douglas using the Tesco app..

Must have sneaked this in one of the recent app updates. 

I dont remember seeing  this before.

5 hours ago, woolley said:

Memories are even shorter than I thought, even those that think they aren't.

Manx Viking - different company and short-lived (not ever since 1978), so hardly relevant.

Twice a day, year round passenger service by the Steam Packet to Heysham began with the inauguration of the Ben in 1998, at which point it was integrated with freight onto the one vessel. This released both King Orry and Peveril which were disposed of.

Indeed they are. ManxLine effectively staged a reverse takeover of SPCo and MV became a SPCo boat.

Part of the initial “merger” was abandonment of Liverpool.

We've had twice a day RoPax all year round ever since ManxLine and MV

• Like 2

5 hours ago, woolley said:

No boat before Ben was thrashed two return sailings, seven days a week, year round to my recollection. Guess I'll have to look for an old timetable from the 90s unless anyone has one to hand? I know for sure that the Peveril was doing freight runs regularly prior to the Ben, so why would you need 2 passenger returns a day in winter when hardly anyone travelled?

ETA: And when the Ben was introduced they were trumpeting all of these extra seats available on their twice daily service. I wish I still had the flyer.

Running order was 

Manx Viking 1978 to 1986

Monas Isle April-October 1985

Tynwald early 1986 to mid 1990

King Orry early 1990 to summer 1998

Ben my Chree Tynwald Day 1998

They all did 2 rotations to Heysham daily, all year round, except 

1. Mona’s Isle, which was supposed to take over from Manx Viking after the “merger” but was incapable. MV was then painted in SPCo colours

2. King Orry, because there was pressure to reintroduce a Liverpool service and she was adapted with a side loading car deck entrance for some limited Liverpool use. 

5 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Found out today that you can check the in store stock at the main Tesco in Douglas using the Tesco app..

Stock check has been around quite a while.

Just noticed, I’m doing a purchase and wanted a can of soup for a recipe, most major Heinz soups are on offer at £1 a can ( 5 for £5 ) or, if you buy 8 they’re 84p.

Offer is indefinite.

Tesco have some reallly aggressive pricing going on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

One sailing a day would be plenty to service foot passengers it is freight and vehicle capacity that may struggle.    Tesco will surely inherit Shoprites storage units so perhaps there will be more forward buying from them.  M&S have a bigger problem perhaps they could invest in some units there are plenty for sale.

Isn't it the case that Tesco take over the ShopRite operation completely by end of this week? If Robinsons haven't already secured a contract with them for future biz then I doubt they (Robinsons) would still be ordering fresh produce. Perhaps.

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Isn't it the case that Tesco take over the ShopRite operation completely by end of this week? If Robinsons haven't already secured a contract with them for future biz then I doubt they (Robinsons) would still be ordering fresh produce. Perhaps.

Where did you get the info that completion was “by end of this week”? Thought practical completion was almost immediately after the deal was announced. That’s when Shoprite ( not ShopRite - different entities in USA and ZA ) head office staff were made redundant.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

I think you're wrong.

9 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Been there for years 

• Like 1