Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

Have to say that one officer down means two weeks worth of disruptions indicates to me poor management leading to a lack of contingency laid bare by a ban on overtime. Which is  quite rightly voluntary.

Poor show IOMSPCo...

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Have to say that one officer down means two weeks worth of disruptions indicates to me poor management leading to a lack of contingency laid bare by a ban on overtime. Which is  quite rightly voluntary.

Poor show IOMSPCo...

As I said earlier there could also be staff on annual leave, which certainly wouldn't have helped.

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As I said earlier there could also be staff on annual leave, which certainly wouldn't have helped.

Plus it's not just overtime. They're not ranking up either, which is commonplace I'm guessing. That way officers duties can be covered when there's unexpected absence. Hasn't been an issue until work to rule came in.

I see Arrow is able to dock at 6am from next Monday so some pressure off the onward supply chain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Plus it's not just overtime. They're not ranking up either, which is commonplace I'm guessing. That way officers duties can be covered when there's unexpected absence. Hasn't been an issue until work to rule came in.

I see Arrow is able to dock at 6am from next Monday so some pressure off the onward supply chain.

The steam packet chap was laying the blame at the door of the DOI for the supply issues.

Just now, cissolt said:

The steam packet chap was laying the blame at the door of the DOI for the supply issues.

Oh, I guess I wasn't blaming anyone, more just an update that SPCO just issued an update to say Arrow would be in earlier.

Maybe the DoI issue was lack of dock workers to enable Arrow to berth earlier?

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Which is fair.

Someone needs to put them on a trowel for not upgrading the Edward pier prior to the arrival of the Manxman...

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Which is fair.

Someone needs to put them on a trowel for not upgrading the Edward pier prior to the arrival of the Manxman...

Is that the issue for Arrow though? What's changed between this week and next Monday to allow her to dock at 6am rather than wait until after Mx departure at 8am? (Other than schools go back and likely more dockers back to work).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Is that the issue for Arrow though? What's changed between this week and next Monday to allow her to dock at 6am rather than wait until after Mx departure at 8am? (Other than schools go back and likely more dockers back to work).

My point still stands though.

Was any explanation ever given for this appalling lack of joined-up thinking?

No doubt the pier will be finished in the spring when the winter gales will have eased...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

My point still stands though.

Was any explanation ever given for this appalling lack of joined-up thinking?

No doubt the pier will be finished in the spring when the winter gales will have eased...

Oh yes I fully agree.

On this occasion though I don't think that's the cause of the problem as high tide is early AM so no problem with Arrow using No. 1 on Victoria Pier.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Oh yes I fully agree.

On this occasion though I don't think that's the cause of the problem as high tide is early AM so no problem with Arrow using No. 1 on Victoria Pier.

The Ben being moored there for the last few days was why the Arrow had to wait until Manxman had left

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avacado said:

The rumour is that a sale of the Ben fell through a few weeks ago and that it’s no longer certificated to do the freight routes as they don’t want to go to the cost of re certifying it if it’s going. Apparently it’s why the Arrow has been doing all the freight runs. So the Ben is just taking up space on the pier. 

Yes but that doesn't stop Ben being moored outside the pier does it, so Arrow can use the linkspan on No. 1? Also, why will that suddenly change on Monday?

Steam Packet management have indicated they’ll withdraw the termination notices, Nautilus will withdraw from industrial action and both sides will go to arbitration.

Nautilus response.

Please see below our press statement in response to the one issued buy the company earlier. We will not be asking any officers to cease industrial action until they have received letters from the company withdrawing their notice of termination.

IOMSPCo Press release 

January 2023 

Nautilus International notes Steam Packet Company update. 

Nautilus International notes the update provided by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company (IOMSPCo)  on negotiations, re-confirming that they will withdraw termination letters following discussions facilitated by the Manx Industrial Relations Service. 

Members operating lifeline ferries to the Isle of Man voted for strike action and action short of a strike over management threats to force through contractual changes that would significantly reduce time ashore with loved ones in a ballot that closed on December 18.  

From December 27 at 18:00 hrs Nautilus members refused to work overtime, or work in positions outside of their contracted rank.  

From January 3 IOMSPCo was forced to introduce a contingency sailing schedule with Manxman sailings cut to one a day for the next two weeks because of unexpected short staffing. 

Nautilus has maintained its willingness to discuss a resolution to the action short of strike on behalf of members and has encouraged management to make a genuine offer that is acceptable without the threat of fire and rehire.  

The union had proposed further discussions with Steam Packet starting 15th January 2024 in Douglas which have been agreed. 

Upon confirmation that notices have been withdrawn by the employer, Manx Sea Transport Guernsey Limited, Nautilus members working onboard Steam Packet vessels will be advised to cease industrial action. 

Whilst discussions continue, we expect the employer to honour the status quo whilst we conclude a negotiated position. We also expect the employer to abide by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and commit to arbitration should these latest talks fail to find an agreement.