Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

12 minutes ago, Frances said:

it was felt, and commented on, back in November tho apparently not felt in the front lounges but very noticeable up on level 8

Thanks. That would explain why we've never noticed.

I wonder if plodding along at 7 knots with no loading creates the same effect?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Good opportunity for vibration testing, how's and why's and potential cures?

About the worst possible time I would have thought.  Picking up and locating such problems would be best done when there's as few as possible forces on the boat.  Not in the middle of a gale.

• Like 1

So let me get this right, our fleet comprises of an elderly fast craft which in reality can only be used for half the year, a new boat which has teething issues and costs money whilst out in rough weather , because it can't stay in our port, and the Ben which I understand was being spoken of as up for sale ?

I'm no maritime expert, but from a business point of view this doesn't sound a healthy situation !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Once the work on Edward Pier is complete it *should* mean that the Manxman can at least stay moored in the Harbour during extreme weather. 

I'm prepared to be proven wrong though as it's a DOI project after all. 

Well according to the project webpage:

While Manxman has been designed specifically for Douglas Harbour and can be berthed and manoeuvred exactly as planned, it is 8 metres longer and 3m wider than the Ben-my-Chree and weighs almost twice as much — 24,161 tonnes compared to 12,504 tonnes. Fenders and mooring bollards will therefore be replaced and strengthened to reduce the risk of damage to both the pier and new vessel during Force 10 winds.

Manxman is more powerful than the Ben-my-Chree and improved scour protection measures are needed to protect the pier wall from the effects of water propulsion as the vessel manoeuvres.

Supposed to be completed "in the new year 2024".  So I suppose they've got till 31 December.

Which still doesn't explain why they needed such a bigger boat (did Alf think all his 15,000 new residents were going to arrive in the same month?) or why the DoI left it so late as previously discussed.

14 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Not very sheltered from a SSW maybe? She's off Anglesey which is where a lot tend to head to shelter until they can get in to Liverpool or Ireland.

19 hours ago, P.K. said:

Plodding between Fleetwood and Anglesey again. What a waste of fuel.

Why can't they anchor in Dulas Bay like a fair few do already?

Yeah, anything with South in it and Douglas Bay won't provide much shelter.  Remember the Island is at a diagonal, potentially exposing the entire east coast to southerly storms.  Also waves will refract around headlands into bays. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

On the Manxman this morning. It is mega rough outside but the crossing is smooth. Ship is warm and comfortable. 

This not what manxforums is for. Please try and find something mildly disappointing that you can moan about.

• Haha 12

Now this may sound sad or boring to many but I’ve just watched the Manxman enter and berth at Heysham on the excellent Manxman webcam, it really does show the narrow gap to get in.

Also highlights the sad state of Heysham port  overall which needs major investment.

Shouldn’t they have a Manx flag on the bow and not the Union Jack.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 2