Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

I was on yesterday morning's crossing to Heysham - left late with boarding only stating abt 8.25 for a 8.45 departure hence 10min late in departure but after a very smooth crossing it entered Heysham harbour at just before 12.15 but then the by now usual problem with Manxman - it took over 20 min to turn + start to offload passengers - also for some reason the 1st batch of luggage was delivered but a second batch was delayed at least 15mins.

The loading + turnaround times seem to be a major problem with the boat which bodes ill for the busier summer season

35 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe it's A Manx thing i don't know but reading the comments on Facebook why do so many people take great delight whenever it doesn't sail? 

I think you'll find the desire to say "I told you so!" is fairly universal.

8 minutes ago, Casta said:

15mins is an outrage. I bet the offloading crew were smoking tabs and watching Netflix.

(does this post qualify for Facebook?)

It doesn't matter if it's a one-off, but Frances' point is valid.  If the Manxman is regularly accumulating a number of short delays on most sailings from systemic problems when docking and loading/unloading, then it's going to make keeping to a fairly tight schedule difficult in the busier months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The boat has missed sailing mostly due to weather now it hasn’t sailed because of a mechanical fault…headline news the earth has stopped turning, yet when the planes fail to go it is somehow acceptable, I would say the boat is far more reliable than flying although neither of them are wind and weather proof.   The big news is we live on an Island travel will always be problematic if you cannot live with this there is usually a boat twice daily…I bet you thought I was going to say…in the morning 🤣.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe it's A Manx thing i don't know but reading the comments on Facebook why do so many people take great delight whenever it doesn't sail? 

My query is why have non of our very handsomely paid MHK's made a single comment about the Steam Packet and its failings, or is this how arms length is supposed to work. Just stand by whilst we seem to be getting shafted once again. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

It's an establishment thing. The island has lots of money with many extremely well renumerated politicians and civil servants etc. and yet public services are either in a terrible state or getting worse.

The Racket has been ripping people off and treating them like self-loading freight for years, not to mention the appalling way in which they have treated their staff recently.

You reap what you sow in both cases. A little schadenfreude is the least they can expect.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

is this how arms length is supposed to work. Just stand by whilst we seem to be getting shafted once again. 

In a nutshell - yes.   “Arms length” provides all the cover the politicos need to say “nothing to do with us, mate…”

• Like 1