Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

5 hours ago, woolley said:

But shit happens. Manxman could go tech for days or longer, and perhaps even have to be taken away for attention. I know what you are saying about the track record, but there just seems too much reputational risk to this particular lie, if it is a lie.

It's very hard to believe that there is this ship sitting in the harbour, crewed and ready for action in 12 hours, but in fact it isn't. It might as well be a cardboard cutout. It's all just a lie somewhere between the Steamie and the Govt, and they're doing it at whatever cost simply because they won't admit they cocked up on the regulations/upgrade requirements. And they're all sitting there with fingers crossed, praying to God that Manxman keeps trucking. Too farfetched. Implausible, no?

Better to have one ship prepped and ready to go than two ships in the forms of the Arrow and the Manannan. The cost of keeping and running both of ghem as stand by would be far more than just the Ben. 

7 hours ago, woolley said:

I agree. UNLESS, there is something in my theory about grandfather rights being reinstated if her former status as our go to lifeline is restored due to incapacity of the Manxman?

Isn't there a lifeline exemption in one of the MARPOL Annexes?

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Sailing cancelled. 

I was at the sea terminal just as it arrived into port and a few ambulances came flying into the area. 

the boy on a school trip supposedly leaving tonight. Another waste of money no doubt. 
shambles

Apparently a crew member seriously injured with ropes on legs saw mentioned on social media but don’t worry about him just for your boy having a delay on a jolly, FFs

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

Apparently a crew member seriously injured with ropes on legs saw mentioned on social media but don’t worry about him just for your boy having a delay on a jolly, FFs

Wtf you on about. 

I haven’t mentioned anything about someone injuring themselves. I mentioned ambulances and my son supposedly on the sailing. 

• Thanks 1

MEDIA STATEMENT: INCIDENT AT DOUGLAS HARBOUR 

Isle of Man Steam Packet Company can confirm it is investigating an incident that occurred during mooring operations with Manxman at Douglas Harbour.

The incident occurred during the vessel’s scheduled 18:00 arrival to Douglas on February 15th 2024. 

Steam Packet Company Managing Director Brian Thomson said: ‘I can confirm that unfortunately a member of our staff has received injuries requiring hospitalisation as a result of the incident. 

‘Our colleague is comfortable and our thoughts and best wishes are obviously with them and their family at this time, and we wish them all the best for a speedy recovery.’

‘We are currently investigating this incident, and will be liaising with all relevant authorities.’

‘We are not currently in a position to confirm any further details but we will release further updates as it becomes available.’

As a result of the incident the scheduled 19:45 departure and subsequent 02:15 return from Heysham have been cancelled. 

All affected passengers have been contacted. Passengers on cancelled sailings will be offered alternative arrangements or a full refund.

ENDS

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Wtf you on about. 

I haven’t mentioned anything about someone injuring themselves. I mentioned ambulances and my son supposedly on the sailing. 

No, you posted a shitty, ill thought out comment (as usual) when someone is up in hospital with serious injuries. You need some perspective.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Gizo said:

Wtf you on about. 

• Your usual rant 

Sailing cancelled. 

the boy on a school trip supposedly leaving tonight. Another waste of money no doubt. 
shambles

• Thanks 1

It is right that the private sector thrives on innovation and risk-taking, and either gets rewarded or punished for their results. In contrast, the public sector needs to be a relatively stable and ‘boring’ public service focussed organisation(s), because people need the public sector to be there for them, i.e., to be reliable and to take few (if any) unnecessary risks. If a part of the public sector becomes tasked with ‘maximising profits’, as all private sector companies are, it’s future becomes fraught with peril. We can see what happened in the UK when parts of their public sector were privatised, e.g., after the UK railway and water utilities were privatised the quality of the service declined and the charges to consumers went up. Privatised water companies pollute rivers and privatised train companies provide expensive sub-standard services.

The current half-way house which the Steam Packet is at the moment (i.e. a fully Government owned ‘arms-length private company’) is a total mish mash where responsibility falls between the cracks. The external transport links (sea and airport) are the vital life-lines for this Island. They must be run efficiently and reliably. I am in favour of the Government being in charge of running our air- and seaports, and also our ferries. Unfortunately, when it comes to managing large projects, our Government has a history of amateurish failings - too often there has been a dearth of quality and an excess of quantity (admittedly, the UK has too been found wanting). I don’t expect Tynwald members to be experts in everything, but I do expect them to be able to recruit suitable experts to manage these projects professionally.  I also expect IOM CS/ PS to be able to get their heads around complicated issues, to evaluate various options and to make sensible decisions. However, time and time again the IOMG have either been hoodwinked or have been out of their depth. Therein lies the problem, a problem which is exacerbated by the political culture of backbenchers’ timid questioning of Government’s decisions and performance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

It is right that the private sector thrives on innovation and risk-taking, and either gets rewarded or punished for their results. In contrast, the public sector needs to be a relatively stable and ‘boring’ public service focussed organisation(s), because people need the public sector to be there for them, i.e., to be reliable and to take few (if any) unnecessary risks. If a part of the public sector becomes tasked with ‘maximising profits’, as all private sector companies are, it’s future becomes fraught with peril. We can see what happened in the UK when parts of their public sector were privatised, e.g., after the UK railway and water utilities were privatised the quality of the service declined and the charges to consumers went up. Privatised water companies pollute rivers and privatised train companies provide expensive sub-standard services.

The current half-way house which the Steam Packet is at the moment (i.e. a fully Government owned ‘arms-length private company’) is a total mish mash where responsibility falls between the cracks. The external transport links (sea and airport) are the vital life-lines for this Island. They must be run efficiently and reliably. I am in favour of the Government being in charge of running our air- and seaports, and also our ferries. Unfortunately, when it comes to managing large projects, our Government has a history of amateurish failings - too often there has been a dearth of quality and an excess of quantity (admittedly, the UK has too been found wanting). I don’t expect Tynwald members to be experts in everything, but I do expect them to be able to recruit suitable experts to manage these projects professionally.  I also expect IOM CS/ PS to be able to get their heads around complicated issues, to evaluate various options and to make sensible decisions. However, time and time again the IOMG have either been hoodwinked or have been out of their depth. Therein lies the problem, a problem which is exacerbated by the political culture of backbenchers’ timid questioning of Government’s decisions and performance.

And breath😄

On 2/15/2024 at 2:35 PM, Two-lane said:

If it is a requirement of the Steam Packet to operate a service to Liverpool, the cost of a terminal there should be part of the cost/value of the company.

Why? It’s a capital project. Unwanted by SPCo. They’ll have to negotiate a lease or licence and pay for its use, which will be passed on to passengers.

Its been like that since the original, wooden, floating landing stage was built.

Who owns it has never mattered, Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, Peel Ports, or DoI.

Again, only my understanding, after talking to people I know.

The back spring rope parted ( snapped ) whilst Mx was  berthing. 

It hit a shore based dock worker and broke his leg.

It’s the second incident involving the Korean ropes on Mx injuring someone. 

There was also a near miss on the Ben a month or so ago when she had to put to sea.

Officers have complained to management about the ropes,  expressing concern that they were dangerous. So far they’ve been ignored.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Again, only my understanding, after talking to people I know.

The back spring rope parted ( snapped ) whilst Mx was  berthing. 

It hit a shore based dock worker and broke his leg.

It’s the second incident involving the Korean ropes on Mx injuring someone. 

There was also a near miss on the Ben a month or so ago when she had to put to sea.

Officers have complained to management about the ropes,  expressing concern that they were dangerous. So far they’ve been ignored.

there was a huge stock of ships ropes at bobby sadlers a few months ago that was destined for the racket and about 2/3rds had gone last week when i was in there so maybe sone rope issues have actually been sorted

20 hours ago, Happier diner said:

And breath😄

Perhaps they should.

My point was that it is in public interest that certain “public goods and services” are retained in public ownership, as opposed to being left to the whims of market forces. But this does not mean that its OK for the public sector to be completely unaccountable, inefficient, a bloated bureaucracy which is what the IOM CS/ PS has been allowed to become.

It is the politicians’ fault that they have been either unable or unwilling to oversee and provide good leadership of the public sector. It is our politicians' fault that they don’t seem to understand that it is they, our politicians, who are the ultimate custodians of the taxpayers’ money and that it is their obligation to spend our money wisely.

Edited by code99