Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

7 hours ago, Barlow said:

I take my hat off to you sir, the mail plane was inauguarated  1934.

Yes, it was. But you had to pay an airmail supplement, and very little was carried. The majority of letters and post cards went by boat until the 60’s.

The 1934 service even used a special blue air mail letter box.

There was an airmail service between Douglas and Peel in 1912.

I see several cancellations of the Heysham boats but the fast craft seems still to be running (I hope so as booked on it today) but it does look as though many of the comments made re windage, size and unsuitability of Manxman to Heysham Port are proving correct - boat is too big for its intended operation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

I see several cancellations of the Heysham boats but the fast craft seems still to be running (I hope so as booked on it today) but it does look as though many of the comments made re windage, size and unsuitability of Manxman to Heysham Port are proving correct - boat is too big for its intended operation.

The fastcraft wouldn't be leaving this morning either.

The weather is a lot better this afternoon when the fastcraft goes before it turns nasty again late evening.

33 minutes ago, Frances said:

Came back yesterday morning, a bit rough in places but not too bad. I was impressed with new terminal , very comfortable. Only downside was that as Friday boat was 45 minutes late, the shuttle bus was nowhere to be seen and had been & gone. Also no taxis , prebooked ones had departed as busy Friday and many passengers were having difficulty in getting taxis.

We along with many others just walked towards town to hotels etc but unsure what elderly etc did 

Whilst on the RMS, asked the captain what time we would arrive in `cape Town, Monday was the reply, anytime before 23.59 and I am on time

sailing on the RMS was a step back in time, part cruise ship ,part freight ship for the islands, taking islanders to from leave.

three meals a day, beef tea at 11.00, afternoon tea , quoits on the foredeck, proper safety instuctions in case of emegency which included putting on life jacket and making way to lifeboats!.

but it is a bit rough on the south Atlantic, a good number of passengers spend their entire journey in their cabin, despite having the anti sea sick jab. We were a table of six for dinner, of which one I never saw during the entire sail, and two were occasional visitors!
there as a certain hierarchy at dinner, captains table etc. we were with the first engineer….so not sure where that put us !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The Islands lifeline.

You're absolutely correct about the broken lifeline. The Steam Packet confirmed it to me when I phoned about a recent crossing. I said was the boat sailing that morning and the reply was.   " we're a frayed knot"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, it was. But you had to pay an airmail supplement, and very little was carried. The majority of letters and post cards went by boat until the 60’s.

The 1934 service even used a special blue air mail letter box.

There was an airmail service between Douglas and Peel in 1912.

Certainly very little was carried on the first trip to Belfast! (1935).

Supplement or not there was a dedicated airmail plane from the inauguartion (apparently back in the day such as MHKs and their friends and other big wigs could jump on the flight, but that is another story) up until its sad recent demise - the result of which probably put a few pence in the pockets of Royal Mail shareholders. May those pennies burn a hole in their pockets.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Certainly very little was carried on the first trip to Belfast! (1935).

The first airmail, in 1934 was a letter from the Governor to HMPostmaster General, and one from the deputy Mayor to the Lord Mayor of Manchester. Ronaldsway to Ringway ( and on to London for HMPG by train )