Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

**Sailing update – Issued at 17:27hrs**

Forecasts confirm that the adverse weather has deteriorated further and therefore the following sailings for this evening have now been cancelled.

Douglas to Heysham 13th June @ 19:45hrs
Heysham to Douglas 14th June @ 02:15hrs

Passengers booked on the above sailings can contact our reservation team on 01624 661661 or 08722 992 992 to make alternative arrangements. Alternatively you can amend your booking online through your online account.

Following review of the latest forecast the following sailings are subject to probable disruption/cancellation. To give these sailings every opportunity to take place, a final decision will be made by the Master by 06:15hrs tomorrow morning.

Douglas to Liverpool 14th June @ 07:30hrs
Liverpool to Douglas 14th June @ 11:15hrs

For further information on these for any of our other sailings please visit our website.

4 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Yes, Captain lit a candle at the end of the breakwater, it blew out sailing cancelled. The old sailors would be turning in their graves.

Idiot. Safety at sea is something that should never be taken lightly.

Have some respect for the professional mariners whose judgements over passenger comfort and safety ultimately make the call over whether vessel sails or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Idiot. Safety at sea is something that should never be taken lightly.

Have some respect for the professional mariners whose judgements over passenger comfort and safety ultimately make the call over whether vessel sails or not.

Yes indeed I am an idiot my 10 years as a ""professional mariner" taught me fuck all , Ben due to sail last night cancelled wind 20 knots. Ben set sail this morning wind 36 knots  maybe they are afraid of the dark. 

Edited by Beelzebub3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

A common reason for cancellation is the forecast strength and wind direction at Heysham - the Ben can't turn around safely in the restricted harbour in strong winds - unlike Douglas there is no ready tug at Heysham (and until recently Peel holdings were even reluctant to dredge the harbour)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Yes indeed I am an idiot my 10 years as a ""professional mariner" taught me fuck all , Ben due to sail last night cancelled wind 20 knots. Ben set sail this morning wind 36 knots  maybe they are afraid of the dark. 

By "professional mariner"  you mean you were qualified as a Master Mariner under section A-II/2 of the STCW Code for masters on ships of 3,000 gross tonnage or more?

If so, I'd expect you to know better, as there are many other factors to be taken into consideration other than wind speed - tide, currents, wind direction, forecast, tug availability, visibility, sea state, passenger comfort etc etc.

If not, you're not qualified to make a proper judgement about whether a sailing should go ahead or not.

Wind

South to southwest 7 or gale 8, and perhaps occasionally severe gale 9 in places at first. Veering west around mid-morning, then decreasing 6 or 7 by about midday, further decreasing 5 or 6 by mid afternoon, easing 4 or 5 late afternoon, increasing occasionally 6 overnight.

State of Sea

Rough or very rough at first, becoming mainly moderate this afternoon.

just for the record, that's the forecast last night, force 9  would not make getting through the dog-leg of Heysham entrance, or turning, very easy. With all of last night's traffic and probably this morning's Manannan load it wasn't over-packed with pax, maybe the decks were full of campers and vans though. Arrow has been riding out the storm in Laxey bay waiting for the wind to drop and a vacant berth

even this morning BMC was heading 160'  more like going to Llandudno before turning east

Arrow has been riding out the storm in Laxey bay waiting for the wind to drop and a vacant berth

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

By "professional mariner"  you mean you were qualified as a Master Mariner under section A-II/2 of the STCW Code for masters on ships of 3,000 gross tonnage or more?

If so, I'd expect you to know better, as there are many other factors to be taken into consideration other than wind speed - tide, currents, wind direction, forecast, tug availability, visibility, sea state, passenger comfort etc etc.

If not, you're not qualified to make a proper judgement about whether a sailing should go ahead or not.

Nope - he means he's played with a rubber duck in the bath in between wanks and is now an expert in all matters maritime.............not unlike Bazza

• Like 1
  • Haha 1