Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Long enough for Govt. to have to cop for the repair bill.....?

Steam Packet makes more than enough to pay its own repairs, it may reduce government dividend if it runs on.

Just announced  Mannanan is doing an over night return to/from Heysham.

Further announcement about the Ben at 7pm. 

Thank goodness no one was hurt, although it may have inconvenienced people an engine room fire is serious.  They are fixing the fault as soon as they can get the part needed they are not clairvoyants.    Things go wrong with machinery and the weather is no ones fault, look at the chaos away with the winds and rain, we were lucky.   Nearly every day there are delays and cancellations at the airport and it is accepted, who would want to travel on a faulty aircraft, but the boat is pretty spot on most of the time but if incidents do occur there is such a kick off.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Steam Packet makes more than enough to pay its own repairs, it may reduce government dividend if it runs on.

Just announced  Mannanan is doing an over night return to/from Heysham.

Further announcement about the Ben at 7pm. 

it doesn't make a penny profit until the debt is paid back.......

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

it doesn't make a penny profit until the debt is paid back.......

You confuse revenue with capital. The debt can only be paid back in two ways, raising capital or out of profit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

That’s what they’re hoping to do. Got to make the profits first.

its not profit:rolleyes: if you don't include the full costs of the borrowing.....

then you have the unfunded boat they need to buy just to make target by the end of the ua......

On the first sighting of the Ben lying of PSM bay after her maiden voyage to many years ago to remember, my first thoughts were They’ve bought a pup?  well they proved me wrong she’s giving outstanding service down the years with her engines rarely ever getting cold.

now she’s a tired old lady needing more and more upkeep to keep her going in the Irish Sea which can be a unforgiving place, a new vessel is needed sooner rather than later.

my worry this time is the iom gov have more than top trumped it’s own department that bought that choo choo fiasco ( hit it out of the park) by tens of millions   though as before I could be wrong again but this time I don’t think so.

The last people we need choosing a new boat are government employees or consultants. We need a proper marine engineer but if radars, power stations, sewage systems and locomotives are anything to go by we're sunk. Rumour has it they are looking at the titanic, very low hours so could be a bargain

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WTF said:

The last people we need choosing a new boat are government employees or consultants. We need a proper marine engineer

What we need and what we get are two different things. I’m afraid we will get Government stooges and paid for consultants, organising the new boat - not forgetting Tynpotwalders will want their views heard.

• Like 1