Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

43 minutes ago, kevster said:

There was a problem in getting a Designated Official

They had a licence and DO's. There was a nasty incident involving too much alcohol and no supervision, years ago, and the Steam Packet was heavily criticised in court for the poor quality of its DO supervision ( I think they had one DO for several vessels). They didn't want to pay to train DO's so surrendered the licence, so now they sell anywhere except Manx Territorial waters with no regulation or oversight

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I seem to recall Sunday opening hours being something like 7:30 to 9:45 or some such nonsense.

In summer only. 8-10 I think.  Not in winter, except to bona fide travellers in hotels and restaurants.

My recollection is that winter hours started in October and ended after Easter Sunday.

I think Good Friday being a closed day ended around 2000, but may be wrong.

I remember going to an event on Good Friday and we had to hold it in a restaurant because they could serve alcohol and pubs were closed. That was 1998.

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

When did Good Friday cease being dry here?

I reckon it would have been 1985ish, when the Manx licencing hours were dragged into the 20th century, IIRC Allan Bell was behind it as Tourism Minister.

Previously pubs were shut on Sundays  and religious days October to Easter and summer Sunday hours were 12 midday til 2pm(?) and 8 til 10 evenings. In winter other days were 10pm closing too, extending to 11pm in summer. Supermarkets couldn't sell booze on Sundays either I think(?)

Edited by Non-Believer

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They had a licence and DO's. There was a nasty incident involving too much alcohol and no supervision, years ago, and the Steam Packet was heavily criticised in court for the poor quality of its DO supervision ( I think they had one DO for several vessels). They didn't want to pay to train DO's so surrendered the licence, so now they sell anywhere except Manx Territorial waters with no regulation or oversight

With friends I was on an overnight from Heysham one Easter with upteen rugby teams. Naturally they monopolised the bar. Unfortunately the skipper completely lost it shouting "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" repeatedly over the tannoy which just occasioned much jeering from the assembled revellers. They were not out of control but rather just doing what rugby players do. As a consequence I'm pretty sure there were several arrests when we got into Douglas.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I reckon it would have been 1985ish, when the Manx licencing hours were dragged into the 20th century, IIRC Allan Bell was behind it as Tourism Minister.

Previously pubs were shut on Sundays  and religious days October to Easter and summer Sunday hours were 12 midday til 2pm(?) and 8 til 10 evenings. In winter other days were 10pm closing too, extending to 11pm in summer. Supermarkets couldn't sell booze on Sundays either I think(?)

I came over in '95 and Sunday lunchtime hours were 12 - 2:30 and shops could only sell between those hours.

51 minutes ago, kevster said:

I came over in '95 and Sunday lunchtime hours were 12 - 2:30 and shops could only sell between those hours.

I can certainly remember Shoprite having their booze shelves chained off to prevent access to alcohol sales on Sundays in the mid-90s. But I'm sure it was mid eighties that the pub winter Sunday ban was relaxed.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I think no beer Good Friday and Christmas Day dragged on until 2000.

You are correct about the winter and summer hours changing in 1985/6 and the no off licence sales.

• Thanks 1

Baron Boot being an absolute idiot again, waffling in about empty shelves at M&S, and saying the public should buy local. The empty shelves were down to the Steam Packet Ben cancellations. I must admit I would buy local if the quality were good, which sadly, for example, the quality of vegetables - potatoes aren’t the best, M&S produce is quality. 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/ministers-buy-local-plea-after-spotting-empty-shelves/

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

quite ironic that laws to prevent the consumption of alcohol are based on a religion about someone that turned water into wine.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Baron Boot being an absolute idiot again, waffling in about empty shelves at M&S, and saying the public should buy local. The empty shelves were down to the Steam Packet Ben cancellations. I must admit I would buy local if the quality were good, which sadly, for example, the quality of vegetables - potatoes aren’t the best, M&S produce is quality. 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/ministers-buy-local-plea-after-spotting-empty-shelves/

stupid cunt boot,    most things are imported, not just marxies veggies.  no doubt his missus ( buying manx of course ) couldn't find what she wanted in marxies...

1 hour ago, WTF said:

stupid cunt boot,    most things are imported, not just marxies veggies.  no doubt his missus ( buying manx of course ) couldn't find what she wanted in marxies...

Just think how much smaller the food department/aisles would be in M&S, Tesco, Co-op, Shoprite