Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

53 minutes ago, Gee Cee said:

As always, the poor old Ben-My-Chree has come in for a lot of criticism in this thread.

The Commodore Clipper is very similar to the Ben. Does anyone know if she is having similar difficulties?

Yes, there’s a Condor Ferries good or bad FB page. Dissatisfaction and breakdown levels seem the same as here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1572986602954065/

Edited by John Wright
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 2112 said:

Whilst I don’t mind Heysham, I prefer Liverpool as easy to get to other places. However, Impetus, Speed, Time and Essence aren’t something that IOMG are familiar with. I would imagine LCC are fed up with IOMG procrastinating so are forcing this issue. More additional costs to IOMG. Fiasco!

With the new M6 spur road  if taking a car for me it's an awful lot easier to use Heysham than Liverpool. A lot less stress for a start as the traffic in Liverpool can be bloody awful.

But if you'll be using public transport then it pretty much has to be Liverpool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gee Cee said:

Thanks for the link John.

The comments on the Commodore page have a very familiar ring to them.

And their ownership is up in the air. The Infrastructure Investment fund, managed by McQuarrie, that owns Commodore ( and lots more )  closed on 18/5. Investors can’t pay in, or take money out. It has liquidity issues.

No money to invest in new tonnage.

No moves by JE or GY governments to buy, although it is on market.

Of course GY have had their fingers burned by Aurigny airlines and are just now moving to open skies, except for LGW

Edited by John Wright
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, 2112 said:

....However, Impetus, Speed, Time and Essence aren’t something that IOMG are familiar with. I would imagine LCC are fed up with IOMG procrastinating so are forcing this issue.....

I doubt if LCC have that much to do with it. It's part of Peel Holdings development portfolio, isn't it?

Entirely personally, I wouldn't doubt for one minute that the various commercially clueless in IoMG blissfully thought that Peel Holdings would hold back their plans and development forever and a day just to let IoMG meander their way around to building the proposed new terminal at the Half Tide dock.

I'd also suggest that with said clueless outlook that this might have come as a bolt out of the blue to them and there'll be no contingency plans either. Other than a link temporarily lost and the Island becoming another step more difficult to access.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

And their ownership is up in the air. The Infrastructure Investment fund, managed by McQuarrie, that owns Commodore ( and lots more )  closed on 18/5. Investors can’t pay in, or take money out. It has liquidity issues.

No money to invest in new tonnage.

No moves by JE or GY governments to buy, although it is on market.

Of course GY have had their fingers burned by Aurigny airlines and are just now moving to open skies, except for LGW

Perhaps time for IOM Govt to buy Commodore.

Sister ships, Ben and Clipper (Clipper is a little bit younger and slightly bigger).

Both companies have fast craft that don't like a bit of wind, and make people seasick.

Steam Packet freighter Arrow seems to spend more time helping out Commodore than she does helping IOMSPCo.

Could an order for 2/3 new ships - Ben/Clipper style - result in a bulk discount?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Sister ships, Ben and Clipper (Clipper is a little bit younger and slightly bigger).

Both companies have fast craft that don't like a bit of wind, and make people seasick.

Steam Packet freighter Arrow seems to spend more time helping out Commodore than she does helping IOMSPCo.

Could an order for 2/3 new ships - Ben/Clipper style - result in a bulk discount?

A very good plan that requires vision, ambition & commercial acumen...

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

A new route between IOM and Jersey could get a little tedious!

• Haha 1

Not sure of the appropriateness of the forum’s legal expert posting screenshots from my FB page. Read the t&c’s recently JW?

But yes, it was me. Most impressed with the professionalism of the SP staff who helped me do what I could. Also impressed with the amount of kit/drugs they carry - puts airlines to shame. 

Captain and I decided returning to IOM was the best course of action. I handed over to paramedics who were waiting for us at the port, and then went back on the boat to restart my trip. Hope the chap’s OK. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1