Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

6 hours ago, MrPB said:

Why is nobody allowed to comment on the “Future of fast craft” story on the newspapers site? Is it because almost 100% of respondents on the SPC proposals said that fast craft are an essential requirement moving forward but IOMG seems to no longer want to provide them on the basis of cost to run? 

I think fast craft in general have had their day. Not just cost, but operational reliability in waters with conditions like ours are big issues. I don't understand why you think that IOMG allegedly not wanting to perpetuate fast craft would have a bearing on the newspaper allowing comments or otherwise. They seem happy enough to embarrass the government on a plethora of other stories. Why would they hold back on this one?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:07 PM, woolley said:

I think fast craft in general have had their day. Not just cost, but operational reliability in waters with conditions like ours are big issues. I don't understand why you think that IOMG allegedly not wanting to perpetuate fast craft would have a bearing on the newspaper allowing comments or otherwise. They seem happy enough to embarrass the government on a plethora of other stories. Why would they hold back on this one?

I think postings on there in the past about the Steam Packet have form and have attracted letters from Sue Grabbit & Run on a regular basis. MF have certainly received them in the past.

8 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

why is it that when 61% of survey want faster journey to Liverpool does Government say comfort (?) overrides speed ?

and they want longer journeys so passengers get so bored they go spending money in the shops

#excuses  #fleecethepunters

Does anyone actually buy things in the shops?

i sometimes get breakfast, but that’s it. That’s down to time of day, not length of crossing.

We all like fast, comfortable, crossings, but the survey didn’t include the essential Q, how much extra over standard fare are you prepared to pay for a 2.5 hour crossing

1. 25%

2. 33%

3. 50%

4. 67%

5. 75%

6. 100%

7. Nothing.?

we all know 7. Would win by a Theresa May style defeat long mile.

8 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

why is it that when 61% of survey want faster journey to Liverpool does Government say comfort (?) overrides speed ?

and they want longer journeys so passengers get so bored they go spending money in the shops

#excuses  #fleecethepunters

Yet the same 61% would scream blue murder if the fares went up to accommodate the extra speed

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

Yet the same 61% would scream blue murder if the fares went up to accommodate the extra speed

Was that in the survey too or are you just surmising.

I would have a bit of faith in the knowledge that people would perfer to pay for a better service.

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

Was that in the survey too or are you just surmising.

I would have a bit of faith in the knowledge that people would perfer to pay for a better service.

No, it was a figure that Tempus quoted in his post above

As usual  in surveys, the questions were designed to get the answers they wanted.

A fast craft would have been a white elephant if it had been scheduled to work in the last few days.

When they can work, they are extremely fuel inefficient and costly, and they can't act as back-up for freight.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

anyone know why Manannan berthed 'bow-in' last night, I can only assume it had something to do with low tide on arrival time, it got turned for the morning departure but must have been a pita for any vehicles on board not being able to get off !

It's a Government initiative to increase the population.

You can travel TO the Island at 33 knots, but you can only return with the boat in astern propulsion at 3 knots. Treasury calculations have forecast a 22% increase in population leading to a 4.17986% increase in GDP over 7.2 years.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

It's a Government initiative to increase the population.

You can travel TO the Island at 33 knots, but you can only return with the boat in astern propulsion at 3 knots. Treasury calculations have forecast a 22% increase in population leading to a 4.17986% increase in GDP over 7.2 years.

We could be renamed "Hotel California"

Edited by finlo
  • Haha 1