Steam Packet Warns Of Disruption To Sailings

Amadeus

35 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Only from the point of view of wondering whether there will be Liverpool sailings next year...

You are entirely correct about all the usual fuck ups along the way however! 

As a regular monthly user of the Racket, and particularly one who prefers Liverpool, I understand what can happen. IOMG have been woefully poor and disorganised in trying to get this project off the ground. I have zero faith in our powers that be in getting this large capital project completed and certainly completed within a fixed period of time. I’m quite convinced that LCC and it’s Mayor regard the IOMG as a complete joke.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

they are however re-doing the somewhat grotty waiting room at Heysham - when I joked asking how they got Peel Ports to do any of the much needed improvements the staff said no it was the IoMSPCo paying for it

Speaks volumes. Also says the level of engagement that Starship Enterprise and HRH The Chief Minister have with HWNIs who have facilities which affect IOM residents day to day. 

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

In all honesty does it really matter? In the usual Manx Muddle, Fcukups and Grade A mess, what will happen is, the new berthing facility will cost £millions over the original quotation, the Minister and DOI and assorted Civil Servants will totally screw things up, even if there is nothing to screw up, and as usual the taxpayer and Steam Packet user will pay through the nose. The mantra Lessons will be learned will be sung in unison by Tynpotwald and no doubt Beecroft will refer the matter for further scrutiny. 

Worst case scenario is Peel Ports say enough is enough, you have messed around and the new berth hasn’t started yet, we require the landing stage, you can make other arrangements. 

No new berth? Let's hope so!! Save us a fortune.

11 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I suspect this is purely 'man down the pub' talk, but I heard the Racket may not have use of the Liverpool Landing Stage next year as Peel Ports want to develop it and that's why they haven't released any of their sailings for next summer (except the TT). 

I know their lease/agreement of the site was up soon, but does it run out at the end of this year or next? 

It’s always been released in November, for sailings after end 1st week January the next year, at least since the merger/takeover. In those days it was normally released December for year ahead starting March and the timetable that year still hadn’t been released in February.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 2112 said:

As a regular monthly user of the Racket, and particularly one who prefers Liverpool, I understand what can happen. IOMG have been woefully poor and disorganised in trying to get this project off the ground. I have zero faith in our powers that be in getting this large capital project completed and certainly completed within a fixed period of time. I’m quite convinced that LCC and it’s Mayor regard the IOMG as a complete joke.

As do most people where forward planning and fiscal responsibility is concerned !

I notice the CC Gary Roberts adding his two pennerth in regarding the building of the new SPC Sea Terminal in Liverpool. He wasn’t consulted! FFS he is CC of the IOM constabulary not Merseyside Police. I’m sure Merseyside Police will have an input as to anything which concerns or affects them. Perhaps Merseyside Police should have been drafted over a few years ago to investigate the rather large spate of burglaries. After all Gary Roberts mob couldn’t do anything, very good at taking people to court for minor offences. Another issue he is whinging on about is ID checks at the port. If the UK change the Common Travel Area and it’s rules then I’m sure ID checks will become widely used. However if the CC has concerns as people identity, his officers could ask the passenger or driver/occupants for ID. One form of ID is the SPC Manannan Executive Club, which is photo ID. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51408&headline=Committee told Manx border 'isn't protected'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Edited by 2112

• 2 weeks later...

It must indeed be sound if our band of highly experienced legislators couldn't find anything wrong in the seven minutes of scrutiny and voting they gave it. Fills one with confidence and pride, doesn't it? With the past records on MUA, Film, FX, anything the DOI gets involved with, etc.

Er.....

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It must indeed be sound if our band of highly experienced legislators couldn't find anything wrong in the seven minutes of scrutiny and voting they gave it. Fills one with confidence and pride, doesn't it? With the past records on MUA, Film, FX, anything the DOI gets involved with, etc.

Er.....

What’s to think about. What’s to scrutinise.

Taxpayer lends Steam Packet loads of dosh, as part of the purchase deal, so Steam Packet can pay off loans from its Portuguese bank owner, Steam Packet negotiates loan with commercial lender at low interest rate to pay back the tax payer. Taxpayer gets its dosh back after 17 months.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Taxpayer lends Steam Packet loads of dosh, as part of the purchase deal, so Steam Packet can pay off loans from its Portuguese bank owner, Steam Packet negotiates loan with commercial lender at low interest rate to pay back the tax payer. Taxpayer gets its dosh back after 17 months.

I might just hold you to that post John :D.

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

less than seven minutes then...

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Exactly this, but to add that Steam Packet negotiates loan with commercial lender at lower interest rates because the loan is guaranteed by government, and supported by a sea services agreement to 2044.

The loan will do two things

1)  pay back the taxpayer their £76m

2) provide funds for investment in new vessel(s)

Treasury are saying is that they can get better returns on their £76m than leaving it in IOMSPC, by putting it with their existing external funds managers.

So I expect total new borrowing from commercial lenders in IOMSPC of around £140m-150m. This can be perfectly well financed by IOMSPC - the 2018 accounts reveal on a turnover of c. £60m they generate c. £18m cash.

£18m cash is plenty to repay £150m borrowing over the lifetime of the new vessel  (20+ years)

It would make sense that any dividends received by Treasury from IOMSPC should be ringfenced for use in maritime infrastructure maintenance/improvements. (i.e. effectively IOMSPC pays for the new Liverpool terminal and for ongoing maintenance in Douglas)

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Rather than thinking 'oh the steam packet makes £xmillions so we can borrow tons' how about going 'let's lower our profit expectations for once and do something useful like lowering the cost of putting a trailer on the boat'. 

agreed, now that "we" own it, the emphasis should shift from "making vast profits" to "cover running costs"

• Thanks 1